Elegance Coral. Tips? Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brodie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm interested in adding an Elegance Coral to my tank. Does this coral need to be on sandy substrate? Will it sting other corals? I've read that it can sting humans too, is this true? Waterflow & Lighting? If anyone has any insight about this beautiful coral I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

Catalaphyllia jardinei is one of my favorite corals. It was once considered a faily hardy coral but over the last couple of years it has had a poor survivalbility rate. Not sure why, but some blame collection and transport methods. I have had three. the first one died for unknown reasons. The second one looked damaged and lost a battle with brown jelly infectin. The third one has been doing great for over a year (I have a pic in my gallery of this one). I have tried many different placements and found that placing the cone in a sandy substrate is, by far, the best postition. They like low flow and moderte light (3-5watts/gal of at least CF lighting). They can "sting" the hobbiest if you are sensetive. Like most LPS corals, give it plenty of space in relation to other corals. Good luck!

Elegance corals have very poor survival rates in captivity. My advice would be to not attempt this coral unless you have a very well established aquarium (1+ years) and plenty of light, preferrably MH. If you do decide to attempt this, acclimate the coral very slowly over a few hours, and keep it in a medium flow area.

Good luck!

tripper

I forgot to mention, they demand high water quality. Keeping up on ALK/CA balance is important.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think that this coral may be a bit too advanced for me, but hey maybe in a year I'll get one.

Back
Top Bottom