Elegance corals??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have been reading lots of info on these corals....have heard past two years they have been not doing well in aquariums. Any helpfull info on any exsperience with these would be great...i have one and paid a great price for it...only had it 3 weeks and seems to be fine...not sure of where to put it though

doug

Attachments

• mvc-008f_308.jpg
    mvc-008f_308.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 196
My recollection about the elagance is that you should be careful not to place it in or near the rocks where it could expand and bruise itself against'm. I'd recommend finding a place in the sand if possible with medium to mild water flow. Maybe your rock placement might work if there was no potential to bruise.

I too had one a few months ago. Looked a lot better (expanaded more) when I got it home than @ the LFS. Thought I had it made for about a month or so.

Then, it died quickly. I'm hearing the same thing as you did - that these aren't doing too well in recent years. I'm hearing they where once very hardy.

Good luck.

I have had a few of these corals. IME, the best place for them in in the sand bed. Just put the cone into the sand and keep the opening facing straight up.

I agree with the sand bed placement.

From what I've read it seems if you find/have one that lives a month or so you're pretty much set and it should do fine in your aquarium.

Careful. I heard their stings can be painful. If you ever need to handle an elegans or any coral, use gloves. Not only does it protect you from stings, but also protects the coral's flesh from the acids on our fingers.

Elegans damage easily and they seem to have a lousy immune system when recovering from abrasions and infections. At least in captivity. Make sure calcium and alkalinity levels are balanced. Offer a good mix of foods and keep it away from things that could hit into it or it can hit into. Look into any special additives the elegans may require for long term health along with maybe adding vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom