Elephant Skin Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking into getting one of these but before i do i was wondering if anyone has any experiance or info on them. Things I'd like to know are lighting needs, water flow, and growth rates.

Thanx for the advice.

If you are refering to the cabbage leather coral (Sinularia dura), they are fairly easy to keep. Good water flow and moderate to high lighting. It will do fine a mid depth or higher with PC or VHO depending on what you have. With MH I would place it near the bottom. No special feeding or additives required.

If you mean the SPS variety Pachyseris speciosa, they would require stronger light but if you had about 4x65w PC or higher on the 36 gal it should do fine if placed in the top ½ of the tank as well as somewhere with high (but not direct) water flow. Keep in mind with this one you will also need to keep up with the chemistry alot more. These types of corals are often much faster growing than most typical branching SPS and will suck up the CaCO3 fairly quickly. I would also suggest the tank be on or about 1 yr matured for best results.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom