Emerald Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spicemonkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some plant material growing on and completely covering my gsp. I bought an emerald crab munch the stuff down. That one disappeaed 24 hours later. a few days later i bought a second one seemed fine in the tank and left for work, back home th

ForumRunner_20130105_074754.jpg

at one is missing also! I even lifted up the lr and nothing... No shells, no nadda.

Emerald crabs are excellent hiders. Mine will disappear for days at a time..

Same my would hide to but they really don't hide you need really good eyes to spot them. They can blend into rocks so make sure you double check!:fish2:

Ugh well that stinks...i meed something to eat this down. any other suggestions i can get to take cate of the situation? It has to be small though :/

Are there any other solutions to this excessive plant issue?

I have taken to lifting the piece out if the tank, pulling off as much as I can lately; this seems to be a weekly event at best! eeks; prolly not good for the gsp but I can't imagine it being smothered by green plants is good for it either

if you're running a sump you could put in some macro algae or maybe even try setting up a turf scrubber, plenty of bids on YouTube, that way the algae in the sump sucks up all the nutrients therefore starving out the algae in the tank, personally I like the idea of growing algae to control algae also helps reduce nitrates in your water, I may have one running by the end of the week if I can find the time

My sump is enroute. Along with my protein skimmer. i then plan to move all to my 54g corner tank which i have been cycling using a magnum h.o.t. Filter interim.

So do i then put the gsp colony in the sump?

On a positive note... I just saw both emerald crabs manuevering about at the same time!!...sadly NOT anywhere near where I want them to be tho gah

Turbos work real well to keep algae in control and the sump algae scrubber is awesome I took one rock the one with the most algae(hair) and stuck it on sump the bought 3 turbos for display tank and my tank has never looked better!!! Highly recommend this route

Watchin my bigger emerald scale the parameter on its hind legs and even did some cartwheels. so active and very entertaining

I love my little emerald crab, they do an awesome job of clean up- there's a chance they could have been cleaning the inside of your rocks if you don't see them for days. Cerith and nassarius snails are pretty handy!

Do emerald crabs kill coral or fish? I want to add some to my cuc but I don't want them harming my livestock.

Do emerald crabs kill coral or fish? I want to add some to my cuc but I don't want them harming my livestock.

As far as I can tell the jury is still out on that one.... Mine won't even stand up to blue foot hermits that are only a half inch and he's an inch and a half (without legs). All he ever wants to eat is hair algae and cyano off my rocks and scavenges for decay in my sand bed. Imho I think of you have a messy eating stock that they probably won't even look at your live stock, just their waste, but all I have with mine is live rock, coralline algae and the usual hitchhiking critters and 3 blue foot hermits. Reading reviews on them it doesn't seem as though people are having problems with them....

I got mine to eat unwanted plant material but after the fact I was warned that some have turned rogue and started nibbling on some corals. theories...not enough food supply, angry that a coral had stung it...idk but was warned to keep an eye on them :/

Crystal A said:
Mine went rouge! Back to the lfs it went.

Really? Dang then I guess I might not be getting one. Any other good hermit crabs or cuc that eat algae?

Never heard of them killing fish but they can damage corals as they will try to steal food from the coral even by forcing it open to get what it has already eaten

Back
Top Bottom