Emerald Crab eating my starfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

method0075

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this normal for emerald crabs... These crabs are great cleaners but if and when they can get their claws on the chocolate chip start they will pick at it until they get bored and move on! Any suggestions beside the removal of this starfish. I`m also planning to add anenomies to the tank in months to come but am scared after witnessing these crabs in action!

Just an update for anyone with a similar prob. now or later. The star lost a leg completely It eventually fell off shrivled up and is gone. The star however is back to climbing around. I have not noticed any new growth on the legs but will keep you posted.

Stars rebound very well appearantly, mine got a lot of help from my clowns. They actually started to protect it and chased off the occasional janitor ( snail/blue leg ) :D

We have two emerald and have not had any problems with aggression yet. Maybe you just got a bad lot or maybe the star was having a problem already which drew the emeralds attention.

Well my star is dead and has been torn apart by everything in the tank. I have legs and pieces in the live rock and on the sand bed... Should I leave these pieces in there for all the crabs and snails. or should I remove, in fear of water damage?

10g
20lbs of lr
skimmer hob
6 scarlets
6 blue legs
12 narsisus snails
3 emerald crabs

Also do you think the cleaners may have eaten my peppermint shrimp? I had three and now they are all gone!

I have two emeralds that I have been unable to catch. They have eaten up about $200 worth of corals in the last 2 weeks, at first I wanted to catch them and give them away but I hope I catch them in a better mood than I've been in lately or they may be in trouble.

Take the pieces out if you can get to them. They will up the ammonia and eventually the nitrate.

wow i have never heard this and i have a huge emarld and he doesnt bother anything in my tank and is actuall the biggest scardy cat in my tank

I think my star may have been on his way out and these guys knew it... Sad but that`s the only thing I can think of. I had 3 peppermints in my tank any idea who got a hold of them???

The only time my emerald crabs eat anything but algae is when a fish dies, and then everyone goes after it, which is fine because half the time the fish crawl under a rock and die.

Back
Top Bottom