Emerald crab having a field day!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
Dropped a small chunk of raw scallop into my tank (little piece)
Emerald practically swam over to it he was going so fast
Then he probably covered every inch of LR i have acting like someone was going to take it from him...His only tankmates are Redlegged hermits :)

Now the question....
Was planing on introducing a couple of baby clown fish next week
I have been waiting to see any level spikes with the small load i have in the tank now, no level changes really
Will the clowns eat small torn up chunks of scallop also? Is it good for them?

If anything it was a change for him/her, I have been making him clean the rock and only adding a few brine shrimp every other day

Your clowns will eat the scallops, but be careful not to foul your water by feeding too much. I would suggest a mixture of a flake like Prime Reef and frozen or fresh fed on a rotating schedule. No more then three feedings a week.

Lando are you saying only feed the fish three times per week?

Yes, that is what I am saying. That is all the fish will need. Over-feeding is a common prolem in home tanks and can cause water quailty issues.

For sure I agree on over feeding but everything I've read and heard says at least once a day (I regularly read twice a day)...? Personally I give flakes every day, and on occasion use frozen miasis shrimp as a treat.

Feeding small amounts every day is not too bad. However, the fish do not really need it. All fish and corals are doing fine in my tank with feedings every two or three days. The quality and variety of the food is much more important then the amount.

You`ll be in for a problem later on. You should not feed more than every other day. Been doing this in my tank for eight years now with no sign of algea. You are providing a food source for the algea by feeding too much.

Well I used to have an algae problem (cyno) and that was when I was feeding frozen brine once a day. After I moved I switched to mostly to a high quality flake and occasional miasis shrimp and my algae problems almost don't exist.

I guess my biggest concern is whether or not the fish will starve or loose body weight if I don't feed them more often. Any ways of calming those nerves?

Come to Richmond Va and look at my fish. :D Half of my fish have been with me for the whole eight years. They will be OK and you`ll see that alot of people on this site do the same.

Hmm.. you still feel it's the same for flakes?

I will give it a try, but ease them into it. I'll try every second day and see how that fairs.

Back
Top Bottom