emerald crab, odd behavior??? picking at open belly???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalarsen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a emerald crab in my tank and while watching him the other day he kind of extended and this flap on his underside opened up and he began to pick stuff out and eat it??? anyone else seen this happen before??? pretty interesting...

I've had three emerald crabs for about a year now and have never seen anything like that. I think that all the animals we keep do some type of funny or unique stuff. Wonder if anyone else as seen this, sounds interesting......

I actually witnessed the same thing tonight, but couldnt get a good look at exactly what he was doing because of the way he was in the rock. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

got a better look at the action tonight and it appears that there are three flap looking appendiges with lack stuff that the guy consumes...??? very weird anyone can explain???

Does it appear to have eggs there?

I can remember seeing one with eggs in a compartment under its belly that it would tend too, not eat though.

I used to have a few of those guys as well and witnessed the same very odd behavior. What I read about it seems to point to what Kurt said, that they hold their eggs there until they hatch. However, they are supposedly so fragile that they rarely do hatch.

I understand what you mean about how it looks like the emerald is feeding from it, which is what I thought at first. My GUESS is that they are either rearranging the eggs or pulling things out of their mouths and putting it into their flap, perhaps for nutrition once they become larvae? *shrug*

pinkie you hit the nail on the head. exactly what i was seeing...very interedting to watch...i even took some pics, which i can upload if anyone would like to see??? let me know

Upload them, educational for all of us. It would be cool to have some baby emeralds in your tank.

Edited to add this quote:

Mithrax crabs will hold the eggs inside of the flap on their bottom side until they hatch, afterwards releasing them in a planktonic state. Offspring are so sensitive that they rarely survive.

Back
Top Bottom