Emerald Crab Q?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got an Emerald about a week ago and have a few questions about him. His body is about the size of a quarter and i was wondering if he will nip at any of my fish (two clowns and a firefish) or if they are mainly scavengers. Also, how big do they get? I had a green chromis in my aquarium until about 2 days after i got the crab, and then i couldnt find the chromis. Im sure the clean up crew already took care of him ;) Thanks.

Emeralds get up to about 2 1/2". They do have the potential to take out small fish. They are omivores and require a diet of algae and some meaty food.

i like my fish o much to risk getting one just in case for the most part i think they will leave fish alone unless under fed

but what the hell do i know

They have been reported to grab a fish from time to time, but none of mine ever have. Do you have a lot of algae for him to eat?
I have seen my Scotter Dragonet scoot right over my biggest (about 2") and he did nothing.
Some may disagree, but I believe they are well worth having. If you suspect he grabbed the Chromis, keep an eye on him, but I am doubtful that is the case.
Are you sure its a Emerald and not a rock crab of some sort?

My emerald crabs are awesome. They clean my LR and don't bother my fish at all. I have two of them and they get along with everyone and eachother fine.

How often do Emerald Crabs molt? I have one, as far as I can tell, it has never molted. I frequently find little Hermit Crab molts in the tank, but never the Emerald...

So far it's been around every 6 weeks that mine have molted. I have read that it depends on their growth. Mine have plenty to eat and seem very healthy.

I've seen an emerald crab grab a perc before............

What do you feed the Crabs? I feed my tank some flake and mostly frozen, the crab always picks over the LR as well.

I would like to put something in the tank at night that I know the crab would get to.

My Emerald Crab drew blood from the owner of a LFS when I bought it. It stays in the same two caves as my Royal Gramma and has not touch it yet.

If you have enough algae, they should be fine. I give all my inverts a few sinking pellet every now and then for a treat.

i feed my emerald nori. i just pin a 2" x 2" piece under a small rock. he has never bothered any of my fish or anything else really. he was a big help in cleaning up the tank

steve r

Will he feed on red algae? I think its Red Hair but possibly slime. He would be a great help to me due to the red algae problem im having!

If you have slime algea, I doubt if they will eat that. You need to control that by getting your PO4 under control and by mechanical means.

Im looking into the Emporer 400 or the Penguin 350. Which would be a good choice? I read about both in the product review forum and im leaning towards the Penguin 350. Will this work???

Back
Top Bottom