Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-16-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
emerald crab-vs bubble coral

Last night when I got home from work I noticed there was no bubbles on my bubble coral. It is only a small little frag that I bought for 7 bucks and has been doing well for the past 4 days since it has been in the tank. It had about a cluster of 7 bubble and tentacles even come out from it . I suspect the "reef save" emerald crab. Has anyone had problems with their crabs eating any type of corals? The bubble coral is one of my favorites and I hope that it is not gone for good but merely taking a break. My other suspect is that I added ( for the first time ) a carbonate supplement (1 level teaspoon on a 55 gal tank). The hammer corals,mushrooms ,xenia's and zooanthids are all doing fine though. Anyone have any advice on this one?

fishlips12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
I would not rule out the buffer addition but I highly doubt that's the issue without knowing more about your tank's chemistry. Mythrax crabs are considered reef "friendly" but still a crab and an opportunistic feeder. They should be watched closely. Do you have any types of dwarf angels in the tank or other posible "buffet samplers"?

Old 10-16-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Steve-Have some hermit crabs and one cleaner shrimp . For fish;clowns,damsel,chromis,blenny and a tang but I still feel the crab is the culprit.
My circumstantial evidence is the fact that the hammer coral is doing fine. I guess Ineed to get a new test kit because my current kit tests for Ammonia,nitrat,nitrite and PH and I am now starting to add these supplements as I mentioned before.
fishlips12 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubble, bubble coral, coral, crab, emerald, emerald crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com