Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
First of all, who's footing the bill for this? You? You are looking at 75-100 dollars to straighten this tank out. I sure hope you get an A.
Don't worry about the limpets(the snails) and the worms. Neither are harming anything. I'm with the popular vote to not disturb the sand bed, and get basic test kits- ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as well as alkalinity. A refractometer for measuring salinity is important also. Get a bucket of salt to do some water changes also. You are definitely going to need it. Salt should be mixed with a pump over night or at least for a few hours before adding to the tank.
Clean that canister filter and any other filters on the tank.
Clean the power heads well and position them so that they are no longer blowing the sand in a pile.
Get some daylights on that tank.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Honestly, if I were you and had the space I'd offer to take over the tank entirely.. that is, bring it home. He obviously doesn't care about it.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Emergency: Aquarium Rescue!

I don't see why you can't have sand piled up in a corner. I have fish that move sand all the time.

I don't see why he has to label the pump neither.

I can't see it well but I don't see any strange about where the nem is.

The setup is very strange tho. I will give you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujp16 View Post
I don't see why you can't have sand piled up in a corner. I have fish that move sand all the time.
Nobody said he couldn't. We suggested against disturbing the sand bed.

Quote:
I don't see why he has to label the pump neither.
We were trying to figure out what canister filter we were looking at and working with.

Quote:
I can't see it well but I don't see any strange about where the nem is.
The location of the nem is indicative that the nem isn't getting enough light.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #15

Thank you for the responses!
I do not believe he has any white lights. That's OK with the snails and worms, eventually I will get a trap for them, but for now I agree they aren't hurting anything. I have offered to clean it next week, and since I have never cleaned a salt water tank, I was wondering what would be the first things to do.

1. Test the water
2. Clean the filters/power heads
3. Don't disturb the sand
?

Is there not a way to try to remove the fish, do a thorough cleaning of the tank and then give it a day or so to reestablish. He does have lots of rocks so from my observations there would be plenty of bacteria to be fine after a big clean.
However this is my thoughts as a freshwater tank owner, so correct me if that is not the right way to go about a salt water tank!

~CaptainMogly
Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Cleaning a salt water tank is mostly a water change followed by siphoning up any visible debris. Disturbing things can cause some major problems, especially for a tank that has been neglected that much.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #17

He is planning on taking out the rocks and cleaning them? Would this be detrimental to the tank?

He also has mentioned that he is getting new sand to replace the old sand. Is there any way to make sure that he doesn't nuke the tank?

If the sand isn't eventually cleaned won't the conditions worsen?

~CaptainMogly
Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMogly View Post
He is planning on taking out the rocks and cleaning them? Would this be detrimental to the tank?

He also has mentioned that he is getting new sand to replace the old sand. Is there any way to make sure that he doesn't nuke the tank?

If the sand isn't eventually cleaned won't the conditions worsen?

~CaptainMogly
The only way to change the sand is to pull everything alive out of the tank and hold it rock and all in tank water. Then you have to empty the tank, dump the sand, and add salt water back in.

The sand isn't the problem in the tank. If any one of us disturbed the substrate in our tanks in a big way the outcome would be the same and we would likely nuke our tanks.

As for washing the stone, don't do anything but dip it in a bucket of tank water if you feel the need to clean it.

The most important thing to clean is the filter.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #19

Ok, thank you very much!
That answers a lot of questions.

As for water quality and tests, by getting water parameters before cleaning what exactly would that show me/you? A lot of the advice (very helpful!) is pushing for a water test, which I am planning on getting tomorrow. But I was just curious as why this is important before a water change.

~CaptainMogly
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't know what they are, and then change things with a WC, it could go very wrong. Example being if the sg is 1.020 and you make 1.025, it may result in a quick shock and kill everything. Another example would be going to the doctor because your hand is swollen. They take an X-ray to determine if it's broken and needs to be set or if it's a sprain and needs to be wrapped.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Tags
aquarium, rescue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com