Emergency: Aquarium Rescue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not heavily disrupt this tank by removing rocks and sand. Just figure out your parameters and buy a bucket of reef grade salt for water changes. Do weekly water changes until everything bounces back. You need daylights on that tank for that anemone. This is why it's at the top- not nearly enough light.

So today I acquired a water test from the little pet smart in town.

Nitrate levels were off the chart >200 ppm.
Nitrite was about .5 ppm.
Alkalinity was 120-300 ppm. On the higher side.
pH was about 7.4-7.8.

Using: Tetra Easy Strips

I was not able to get the salinity checked but he has one (a salinity checker?) so I will look up how to use it and figure that out. I was directed to the product Prime (I had heard of it on here so was willing to buy it) and was wondering if that would be something that I should put in before/after a water change or both. I am going to be cleaning it Thursday most likely.

97738-albums14251-picture68122.jpg

97738-albums14251-picture68124.jpg

97738-albums14251-picture68123.jpg

~CaptainMogly

Good luck. The water change, filter clean is certainly a great start

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for all of your feedback!

If you're (should be) using RO/DI, there's no reason to dose with Prime, IMO.

I agree, however I don't have the resources to have a reverse osmosis filter. So after multiple good reviews of Prime I decided it wouldn't hurt, right?

Also, would removing the fish while cleaning be a good idea, or more stressful? I can't decide if my hand in and out of the tank would be worse than putting them in a separate tank while I clean. I'm not sure how salt water fish would react.

~CaptainMogly

Thank you for all of your feedback!

I agree, however I don't have the resources to have a reverse osmosis filter. So after multiple good reviews of Prime I decided it wouldn't hurt, right?

Also, would removing the fish while cleaning be a good idea, or more stressful? I can't decide if my hand in and out of the tank would be worse than putting them in a separate tank while I clean. I'm not sure how salt water fish would react.

~CaptainMogly

Just leave them in the tank. The prime will work just fine. It can't really get any worse in this tank.

Thanks so much, everyone!
I'll post pics after I clean it later this week.

~CaptainMogly

I would not heavily disrupt this tank by removing rocks and sand. Just figure out your parameters and buy a bucket of reef grade salt for water changes. Do weekly water changes until everything bounces back. You need daylights on that tank for that anemone. This is why it's at the top- not nearly enough light.

+1 I totally agree with Mr.X. For a neglected tank this is all you have to do plus manual removal of algae in glass. You use prime only if the nitrite level stays high after several water changes. I would do 50% water change the first time and followed by 20% weekly until parameter is at acceptable level.

+1 I totally agree with Mr.X. For a neglected tank this is all you have to do plus manual removal of algae in glass. You use prime only if the nitrite level stays high after several water changes. I would do 50% water change the first time and followed by 20% weekly until parameter is at acceptable level.
The prime is for the new water, there isn't access to ro/di so tap is going to be used for water changes.

You either save the tank the right way or you might just give it away. How long do you think you wanna keep on doing this?
Yes, because at the moment we need to worry about adding extra nutrients to the water through water changes? Wouldn't want to increase that 120+ppm nitrate by using tap for a water change. That would be awful if algae started growing.

I can't believe this is a biology teachers tank! He should be reported to the animal cruelty people. Or atleast his boss!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ah i'm always siphoning my live sand substrate.... Lot of gunk here...

Ya but he has years worth of gunk and probably gasses building up. If you have gas in that sand bed from rotting and you release it into the water everything can die. If you're going to clean that sand bed, I'd recomend transfering all livestock to another temp tank until this one is cleaned up and ready to go. If you do it regularly you wont ever get the build up...

Ya but he has years worth of gunk and probably gasses building up. If you have gas in that sand bed from rotting and you release it into the water everything can die. If you're going to clean that sand bed, I'd recomend transfering all livestock to another temp tank until this one is cleaned up and ready to go. If you do it regularly you wont ever get the build up...
Wouldn't the gasses be removed when vacuuming the sand? I suppose with expensive livestock, you don't really want to take that risk.

The gasses being released and killing the fish is a long standing myth. Yes gasses do build up, and yes they have some noxious gasses. However, they exit the tank far far too quickly for them to diffuse into the water in a concentration that's even remotely close enough to make livestock blink let alone kill them. Unless you're trapping the gas bubbles and running them through an atomizer you have bigger things to worry about such as ammonia being released from the substrate.

Hydrogen sulfide is slightly soluble in water and heavier than air. So if you release the gas from your substrate, what do you think will happen to your water?

Hydrogen sulfide is slightly soluble in water and heavier than air. So if you release the gas from your substrate, what do you think will happen to your water?
As someone that runs deep dirted substrate beds on all of my planted tanks watching these noxious fumes bubble up from my substrate every day whenever I walk past the tank much less whenever I change the water or move my plants, I have to say absolutely nothing will happen.

Back
Top Bottom