Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

You either save the tank the right way or you might just give it away. How long do you think you wanna keep on doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
You either save the tank the right way or you might just give it away. How long do you think you wanna keep on doing this?
Yes, because at the moment we need to worry about adding extra nutrients to the water through water changes? Wouldn't want to increase that 120+ppm nitrate by using tap for a water change. That would be awful if algae started growing.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can't believe this is a biology teachers tank! He should be reported to the animal cruelty people. Or atleast his boss!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
[*]Second don't clean the substrate. It needs to be left alone or it will nuke the tank. The substrate isn't cleaned in salt water like it is in fresh.
Ah i'm always siphoning my live sand substrate.... Lot of gunk here...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Ah i'm always siphoning my live sand substrate.... Lot of gunk here...
Ya but he has years worth of gunk and probably gasses building up. If you have gas in that sand bed from rotting and you release it into the water everything can die. If you're going to clean that sand bed, I'd recomend transfering all livestock to another temp tank until this one is cleaned up and ready to go. If you do it regularly you wont ever get the build up...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to crazy4fids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Ya but he has years worth of gunk and probably gasses building up. If you have gas in that sand bed from rotting and you release it into the water everything can die. If you're going to clean that sand bed, I'd recomend transfering all livestock to another temp tank until this one is cleaned up and ready to go. If you do it regularly you wont ever get the build up...
Wouldn't the gasses be removed when vacuuming the sand? I suppose with expensive livestock, you don't really want to take that risk.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
The gasses being released and killing the fish is a long standing myth. Yes gasses do build up, and yes they have some noxious gasses. However, they exit the tank far far too quickly for them to diffuse into the water in a concentration that's even remotely close enough to make livestock blink let alone kill them. Unless you're trapping the gas bubbles and running them through an atomizer you have bigger things to worry about such as ammonia being released from the substrate.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hydrogen sulfide is slightly soluble in water and heavier than air. So if you release the gas from your substrate, what do you think will happen to your water?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Hydrogen sulfide is slightly soluble in water and heavier than air. So if you release the gas from your substrate, what do you think will happen to your water?
As someone that runs deep dirted substrate beds on all of my planted tanks watching these noxious fumes bubble up from my substrate every day whenever I walk past the tank much less whenever I change the water or move my plants, I have to say absolutely nothing will happen.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

H2S happens only in salt water tank and not in fresh water tank. The bubbles you see is nitrogen gas which is the byproduct of filtration.

Tags
aquarium, rescue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com