Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
H2S happens only in salt water tank and not in fresh water tank. The bubbles you see is nitrogen gas which is the byproduct of filtration.
Hydrogen sulfide is produced by anaerobic denitrification in both fresh and salt. The deep nature of my substrate along with the biologic matter contained in the dirt I use as a layer underneath my sand gives plenty of nitrogen to be consumed in the deep areas of my substrate. That, and it smells like rotten eggs which nitrogen gas definitely does not smell like.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:48 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its trickle release may have no effect but a sudden release of a considerable amount is considered fatal to your tank. It's true that there is no scientific evidence of this happening to a tank with DSB but it is costly for a hobbyist to experiment with it. We know its characteristics so why gamble?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
We are talking about that little corner pile of sand, correct? I'd just leave it be. It's not going to hurt anything.
As for getting a "lot of gunk" out of your sand bed when vacuumed, a bit more flow to keep detritus suspended longer would be a good idea. I have never vacuumed a sand bed in a salt tank since I've been in this hobby and have never had an issue from not doing so.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think just siphoning the sand is Ok. Never heard stories of tank crash due to gases into substrate.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Siphoning sand on a regular basis is not what we are talking about. We are talking about disturbing an old sand bed. If you want to include siphoning your sand into your routine maintenance, then go right ahead. I prefer leaving that part of my reef more natural, and I believe siphoning out all of the little critters that make their home in the sand to be the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't siphoned the sandbed under the live rocks for a year... No long time ago, I had to remove all my LR to bleach them... So I siphoned all the sand bed... Lot of gunk came out of there... Everything is still healty, no corals or inverts lost... (Except those poor inverts into the rocks)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, that's good that you didn't see any spike, or that stuff lived through it, but I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I agree that it's a perfectly safe thing to do.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

How's international tank rescue going?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
I think just siphoning the sand is Ok. Never heard stories of tank crash due to gases into substrate.
If one knows exactly how the DSB works and what benefits it provides to the tank, the recommendation is avoid disturbing it. Otherwise, you disrupt it's filtering process. However, if you have thin substrate (just 2 inches or less) then that is a different story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I found this conversation to be very interesting and informative!
I am for sure cleaning it tomorrow, doing a 50% water change, cleaning algae, cleaning filters, and lightly siphoning the top layer of sand to remove any immediate debris.

I will post pictures tomorrow!

I haven't seen the sea anemone since two days ago, so either my teacher took it out or it has free floated to a back corner of the tank.

~CaptainMogly

Tags
aquarium, rescue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com