encouraging corraline growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darb2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my tank has been up for 2 months. 80 lb lr 150 lb base rock. The only thing spreading to base rock so far is hair algae.
ph 8.2
nitrate 0
phosphate 0
calcium 405
4 65 w pc

Does corraline just take longer to spread?
Will the hair algae deter coraline growth?
Thanks

For the hair algae I would go get some Mexican Turbo snails, if you do, that problem will be solved. Corraline will thrive in good water and lighting conditions.

in both tanks ive had its taken a few months before i could notice coralline spreading. try taking a toothbrush and scrubbing it. That will help spread the spores.

I have 2 tanks one that has been up for seven months with only normal florecent lighting and minimal flow and water chages once monthly its covered in coraline. My other tank has been up over a year with pc lighting bi-weekly water changes and perfect water quality, I even keep the calcium at 450ppm and it is yet to produce any coraline anywhere on the glass. So if you ever find the answer to that please tell me.

You already have the answer in your statement. Remember, pristine water conditions are not natural, they are only found in the aquarium. Although the ocean volume is quite large, there are still far more things floating and suspended in the NSW. It really only makes sense that water w3ith more in it will drive certain things to grow faster. Ultra clean water serves two purposes, 1) It looks far better and 2) it is easier to control any negative elements when you start at point 0. Just a thought.

Seems like coralline growth accelerates exponentionally, that is when there's more around to send little coralline spore things out then more new coralline grows faster elsewhere, and so on. I saw a product by salifert that is supposed to accelerate coralline growth though, it would be interesting to check that out.

Scraping existing coralline into a powerhead flow may help to get it jumpstarted.

sw-addict said:
I have 2 tanks one that has been up for seven months with only normal florecent lighting and minimal flow and water chages once monthly its covered in coraline. My other tank has been up over a year with pc lighting bi-weekly water changes and perfect water quality, I even keep the calcium at 450ppm and it is yet to produce any coraline anywhere on the glass. So if you ever find the answer to that please tell me.

Sw-Addict, I had exactly the same issue on my 90 reef with 330W PC, running for around 18 months - very little corraline on glass or rocks. Recently I became suspicious of phosphate levels (none tested but I had a hair algae and cyano outbreak). I put some Rowaphos in a home-made reactor in the sump. Wow! what a difference! Hair algae and cyano vanished over a 3 week period and the corraline has gone INSANE!
I've heard that high phosphates inhibit corraline but had no idea the scale of the thing!!!

Andy.

Back
Top Bottom