Enormous bristleworm has been spotted in the tank! problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klubvibez

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added two scissortail dartfish and i guess they're still scared and not used to the tank so they seem to enjoy hiding in the cave when im in the room, but if i hide or exit the room they come out and swim. Sometimes i get worried and check in the cave with a flashlight to see if they're ok. The aquarium lights were off for about an hour and i checked inside the cave with the flashlight and i noticed an enormous bristleworm the thickness of a pencil. The light scared it and it began to slide into a rock. I kept watching it, it kept sliding and sliding, almost for 15 seconds this thing kept sliding, just like watching a long line of railcars at the railroad crossing. To me this means that the worm is huge. My concern is that the worm is in the same cave as the dartfish. Its been about 2 hours since i noticed him and my dartfish are NOT in the cave and no where to be found anywhere in the tank. Well have to wait till tomorrow to see if the dartfish are ok, but what can i do to hunt down and destroy the bristeworm. Sorry if this paragraph is too long, i like to be thorough. :)

Welcome to AA, That's a big bristle worm. 8O I'm not sure but most of the time they are good for your tank. I've never heard of them taking on a fish, but anything's possible. Can you get a picture of this monster?

it goes into hiding the instant it sees light. however, it doesn't seem to be afraid of red light. if i can use a flashlight with a red film covering the lens to find it in the tank, perhaps that will be enough time to take a snapshot. of course if its blurred the flash will scare it away and i'll have to wait for it to come out again. but i will do my best.

I have quite a few and one that is a good 6" in length. He seems to bother nothing, in fact he sometimes comes out a bit at feeding time, interesting to watch.
I enjoy the different forms of life that develop in our systems and unless something is known to do damage or I see something doing damage, I tend to leave them be and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom