Enough Filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcontes77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guy,
I am setting up my first marine tank (FO). I have a 45 Gal Tank with an Aqua C remora and a Whisper Power filter (up to 60 Gal).
I was wondering if my filtration would be sufficient. I will also put live sand in it.
Thank you,

Damien

What about Live rock? If your system had Live rock then I would say your filtration is good, especially since you've got a good skimmer in there. Also what fish is in the tank.. will the bio load be high?

IMO, you have enough filtration for a FO tank. I agree with Electrobes though...you'd be better off with some LR in there. The only problem with using a HOB power filter is that they tend to increase the nitrate levels in the tank. LR will, to an extent, remove some of the nitrates that will build up in the water. You mentioned using live sand? How deep do you intend to make the sand bed? Have you checked into using a DSB? Although there are pro and con opinions concerning DSB's, the general consensus is that they are a good addtion due to the nitrate removal and increased biodiversity. JMHO.

I have a 1.5 inch base and I was thinking puting 2 tangs a clown fish and an angel fish. Do you think it will be enough filtration? by the way I have a lot of porous minig rocks in it ( good for nitrobacters).
Also I put some Bio ball in a little bucket where my PS reject its water.
I hope it will enough for my fish load.
My PS make so many bubbles that I have to switch it off!! (i did not put any zyme)?
Anyone has an explanation (water has 2days?)

Thanks
Damien

Back
Top Bottom