Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-09-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Enough Filtration?

Hi Guy,
I am setting up my first marine tank (FO). I have a 45 Gal Tank with an Aqua C remora and a Whisper Power filter (up to 60 Gal).
I was wondering if my filtration would be sufficient. I will also put live sand in it.
Thank you,

dcontes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
What about Live rock? If your system had Live rock then I would say your filtration is good, especially since you've got a good skimmer in there. Also what fish is in the tank.. will the bio load be high?

Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
IMO, you have enough filtration for a FO tank. I agree with Electrobes though...you'd be better off with some LR in there. The only problem with using a HOB power filter is that they tend to increase the nitrate levels in the tank. LR will, to an extent, remove some of the nitrates that will build up in the water. You mentioned using live sand? How deep do you intend to make the sand bed? Have you checked into using a DSB? Although there are pro and con opinions concerning DSB's, the general consensus is that they are a good addtion due to the nitrate removal and increased biodiversity. JMHO.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 1.5 inch base and I was thinking puting 2 tangs a clown fish and an angel fish. Do you think it will be enough filtration? by the way I have a lot of porous minig rocks in it ( good for nitrobacters).
Also I put some Bio ball in a little bucket where my PS reject its water.
I hope it will enough for my fish load.
My PS make so many bubbles that I have to switch it off!! (i did not put any zyme)?
Anyone has an explanation (water has 2days?)

Fish are friends not food!
dcontes77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com