Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Nitrates at 10ppm is not bad. I couldn't get mine below that till I added macro algae to my sump. For a good starter on sumps/refugiums....

Sumps Explained

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I

and one of the best sites for sump design...
Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
Nitrates at 10ppm is not bad. I couldn't get mine below that till I added macro algae to my sump. For a good starter on sumps/refugiums....

Sumps Explained

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I

and one of the best sites for sump design...
Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's
Thanks, good sites. Just checked Nitrates..they were at 25!! I am mixing water as we speak. Don't know what happen with the spike. I was wondering why my button polyps have been closed all week. Everything else in is in range.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The NO3 at 25 could cause some symptoms in your corals. To be safe I would confirm the reading with a different test kit or have your LFS test it for you. NO3 test tend to be less then accurate, IMHO.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You said you're using RO/DI water, but have you TESTED your water coming out of the RO/DI for nitrates? If it's time for a membrane change, or your DI resin in spent, you could be putting the nitrates in your tank with every water change. That might make sense of the increase in nitrates as you're increasing your water changes.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
You said you're using RO/DI water, but have you TESTED your water coming out of the RO/DI for nitrates? If it's time for a membrane change, or your DI resin in spent, you could be putting the nitrates in your tank with every water change. That might make sense of the increase in nitrates as you're increasing your water changes.
same

Kurt,

I checked my water, Nitrates were 0, TDS was 3. Also re-checked nitrates and got same reading. I will be doing a 25% PWC this evening.

On a different note...Do you guys test for Strotnium? I just received a Salifert Strotnium Kit and tested with readings in the 0-3 range. It would seem that this is low. Is supplementation advised?

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com