Enough Room in Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 39 gallon with 20 gallon sump and im considering getting a melenarus wrasse. Ive been told they do great in a 40 gallon. I only have 2 other fish and they are both ocellaris clowns. Will the hoeven's wrasse (melenarus) be good in my tank? I have no shrimp, just snails and hermits. I do however have plenty of rock and coral. Heres a real recent pic of my tank.
img_2697658_0_f3fe865eeb7163f13796a8f719fc9010.jpg

IMO yes their great hunters always looking for pest. You might lose a couple snails or hermits but reef safe with corals. I have on and there very good at eating like pigs. Your tank looks long enough with nice rocks to swim thru.

IMO yes their great hunters always looking for pest. You might lose a couple snails or hermits but reef safe with corals. I have on and there very good at eating like pigs. Your tank looks long enough with nice rocks to swim thru.

Ok cool. I know they are excellent pest control plus i really like the way they look. Was just wondering if my tank is big enough to house one. I think they get up to 5". It will be the last fish added if i get one.

Well i dunno. The more research i do i dunno if i want one. Read they can be rockbulldozers trying to get bristleworms and what not. I think i may go with a yellow chrysus wrasse unless i can save up the doe for a whitebar mystery wrasse!

My melanurus wrasse doesnt do much but swim, he hasnt messed with any rockwork looking for critters and I've had him for several months.
Not that they all behave the same, maybe mine is super mellow lol

My melanurus wrasse doesnt do much but swim, he hasnt messed with any rockwork looking for critters and I've had him for several months.
Not that they all behave the same, maybe mine is super mellow lol

Cool. Yea every fish is different. Anymore suggestions on a wrasse for my size tank thats not a 6-line or flasher? Anyone had a lubbocks fairy?

Nice tank. You have a lot of green already. Adding yellow color to a reef seems more challenging for people like you and I who don't have enough room for a yellow tang. I recently added a yellow candy hogfish to my 40 breeder (wrasse subfamily I believe...still a bit confused though) and he is doing great.

I had a Christmas wrasse before. He was pretty and active but died within a week for no apparent reason. You are smart to stay away from flasher wrasses. They should have at least 4ft tanks in my opinion.

image-2374714009.jpg

Thanks. That hogfish is prerry cool. Theres so many wrasses im not sure!lol. I kinda want something that will eat pest just in case too.

Springeri or Fridmani dottyback.

Oh i know they are excellent pest control! I used to have a sunrise that was a menace. If i did get one it would be between those 2 though but i think im gonna go with a wrasse.

Still debating on my next fish... Anyone with a blackcap basslet? And would it get along with a wrasse or possibly a dottyback? Or maybe a wrasse with a dottyback?

For sure a wrasse. There is a strong chance you will end up with two fish that like to dig sand if you get a black cap Basslet and a dottyback which means not as much activity. Hence a wrasse plus Basslet or dottyback would be my pick.

Dottybacks can be somewhat nasty, mine had to be moved to my 125g as he killed a fish in my 29g and almost killed another. Mine is pretty active though, always out and about.

Back
Top Bottom