Entice zoas to open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i got some new zoa frags a couple days ago. I can't get them to open up at all. I know a lot of softies/LPS will open up a bit more if some of their favorite foods are around. Anyone had any luck getting zoas to open with some kind of food or anything?

I will get some numbers on my water parameters later today but i'm next to positive that nothing is off in my water that could be causing them to stay closed. I had them shipped 2nd day air hoping they would be ok because zoas are so tuff. I may have made a mistake in doing this. We will see.

Pat

I dunno..... normally when I get Zoas they just open up within an hour or so of being introduced. It may be water quality or water flow. Info on these things would help. I've had a few problems w/ internet corals, but I always look at it like....they were shipped just like that to the LFS as well. Some of them are in transit a lot longer than that.

No. They are spread across the tank and its only the new ones (couple different frags of zoas) that are closed so i know its not other corals stinging them. I think this just got cold in shipping and that is why they are closed. They just don't wanna open back up.

I had bought a six pack of corals online and they were recieved in 2 days ... Cold. I ended up losing 4 of them. they were all different. Thanks to the frag swap I just went to, I was able to replace them and then some.

Yeah they arn't dead right now but they don't look good and if i can't get them to open i will lose them.

Are they a nice gray/brown/greenish color while closed up or are they turning white? As long as they are plump looking and not turning white then they are probably just being shy and will take a few days to get happy in the tank. I've had Zoas shipped regular mail wrapped in a wet paper towel with no issues. Give them a few days and make sure they are getting some flow to keep the tissue free of detritus or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom