epic super glue fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i purchased some mushrooms today and i super glued them all to one peice of LR and all of them but one would stay attached (the largest best looking one). Twice he has blown off now and ive had to re-glue him due to currents even out of direct blow of the power head. This time i cut out the bottom a peice of small plastic tupperware and placed him on separate rock and place the tupperware over him. do you think he will die now? it truly is hit or miss, can someone explain the rubber band method in detail a little bit better or link a tutorial with pictures because the ones i find are a little confusing with just text.

i purchased some mushrooms today and i super glued them all to one peice of LR and all of them but one would stay attached (the largest best looking one). Twice he has blown off now and ive had to re-glue him due to currents even out of direct blow of the power head. This time i cut out the bottom a peice of small plastic tupperware and placed him on separate rock and place the tupperware over him. do you think he will die now? it truly is hit or miss, can someone explain the rubber band method in detail a little bit better or link a tutorial with pictures because the ones i find are a little confusing with just text.

Mushrooms are difficult to kill. I have never superglued them. just take a piece of netting and put it over the shrooms. I think the rubberband method is the same. just strap them to the rock.

like put the rubber band around a peice of rock and around the mushroom it self, loose but not so tight that it strangles it?

like put the rubber band around a peice of rock and around the mushroom it self, loose but not so tight that it strangles it?

yes. don't put it directly over the mouth. just make sure the base is forced to always touch the rock. i.e. put one on either side of the mouth

I just put them in a tupperware and wedge them between some LR rubble. Sroos tend to slime up when bothered so superglue is hit or miss as you found out. I put a netting over to keep snails and fish out.
img_1091683_0_16e3d4892ebda76b6f1c9b9b64425ebf.jpg

Get some bridal veil (really cheap at WalMart but they look at you funny when you want less than a yard). Wrap the veil around the shroom and glue the veil to the rock. You can pull it off in a couple of weeks.

Another trick (I use this one mostly with leathers) is to put a wooden toothpick through the bottom of the shroom and glue the toothpick ends to some rock rubble. Snip the sharp ends off eitiher before or after gluing.

I just noticed one sticking out of a leather that has been growing for about 2 years. It looked like the leather was expelling the wood pick from its body so I just pulled it complete out.

These animals are much hardier than we give them credit for. With great water conditions they can survive almo most anything.

i thought you were suppose to use plastic toothpicks ie splinters, i just wanna SEE the rubber band method at this point, it sounds so odd. thanks for the advice guys

Rubber bands are great for hard skeletons, not so great for soft tissue. Every time I tried the rubber band cut through the flesh if it was tight enough to prevent the frag from blowing off the rock.

You could always put a rubber banded one in an area of low flow although with the tendancy of softies to slime up after fragging, it might not work well.

About a month ago I got my first mushroom, but it wasn't on the rock very well. The current was moving the whole shroom back and forth...I had a feeling that it would eventually break off the rock, and it did. I caught it RIGHT before got sucked into the filter. I placed it in the front for a second, looked away and it was gone :( Yesterday I had to take out most of my rock to capture a fish and reassembled everything. The shroom was attached to one of the bigger rocks, it found its own home afterall :)

Yea, shrooms tend to do that. Hardy little buggers <g>.

TC, that was a rather small leather being fragged. I'll try to phot diary when I cut my 10"+ one uless I just sell it outright. I still have 5 frags from when I cut it 2 years ago. Each of them are bigger than the one in that article.

Back
Top Bottom