Epoxy or super glue to mount new frags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The epoxy would work if the frags have some rock already attached. If they are unmounted frags, it won't work. You could use the super glue gel for that.

with the gel do you pull it out of the water, apply and then place where you want it? Thanks! Can you use this with the GSP if there is no rock base, just the purple fleshy mat?

The gel can be used on the GSP mat. As for the application, I like to glue out of the water and then submerge. If this is not possible, you should be able to apply the glue out of water and then submerge and place. The gel will tacky up once in gets wet. You could always glue the unmounted coral to a small rock and then use the epoxy to attach the smaller rock to a bigger rock.

Which ever way works :)

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. When attaching or fragging, can corals be out of water for a long time? Every time I hear someone talking about fragging they mention removing corals long enough for the glue to harden. How long do you guys think corals can be out of water (and does closed or open matter?)? TIA

I use super glue gel for all of my fragging. It works great and dries fast. Make sure the frag plug or rack is dry and dry the end of the frag as best you can before you apply the glue. I have mine out of the water for five minutes tops.

I`ve also heard super glue gel is best to use. I`ve known people that take and soak a paper towel in SW and lay it on the coral as glue the base to a rock.

I use super glue gel to glue all my frags together and to plugs or rubble. But when I want to attach frags to rocks under the water I use epoxy. Holds much better in my experience.

I've never tried epoxy yet, but then again, I've never tried to attach a frag to any large structure.
I always use superglue gel to attach them to a piece of rubble.
That way I can move them around easily if need be.
The gel sets up in about 10 seconds so I've never had a frag out of water for more than a minute tops.
I'll dry off a spot on the rubble first.
Then take out the frag and dab it to a papertowel.
Squeeze on a tiny drop of glue, stick it, hold for a 10 count, and then back in the water she goes.
Of course, the corals close up for a few minutes to a half hour afterward depending on how much they got handled during the process, but I've never lost one yet.

Are all types of super glue gel safe for a saltwater aquarium or do you guys use a special type that is meant for aquarium use? If their is a difference, which one do you guys recommend?

Everything I have read says that as long as the glue has cyanoacryate in it, it is ok. I have yet to see one that did not though. I bought my last batch at the Dollar Tree :)

Corals can be out longer than you think. Most will set up a slime coat if out too long to protect themselves. Go to a frag workshop and you will be amazed on how tough most species are.

As for mounting, gel works for most things. Leathers, shrooms and other softies will not work with good consistency. For leathers, I spear them with a tooth pick and then rubber band the toothpick to a rock. They will attach themselves after a week or so. Mushrooms almost have to do themselves. I have never found a sure fire way with them. Put them in some rubble and let them do it themselves :)

Just wanted to add that if you use the toothpick method, make sure the rubberband isn't too tight. I learned the hard way when my corals kept splitting in two. Took me about 3 tries to figure out that was the problem. I was slicing them unknowingly!

Back
Top Bottom