Epoxy querry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting ready to mount some coral that itself is mounted on small pieces of rock to the live rock while underwater in the tank, but I want to get this right. I was told that a lot of people have success with this using epoxy that is purchased at Home Depot. I bought one when I was there...Can anyone tell me if they've used this successfully to mount a small piece of rock on the live rock in your tank:

Supermend Epoxy Paste (sets in 15 minutes) - says "waterproof" on the label. It's a 2-part epoxy that dries off-white that comes in two separate cups and claims to have "Many more uses than syringe epoxies." There is a warning on it that says: "Severe eye and skin irritant."

If you haven't used this particular brand, have you successfully used another epoxy with that kind of warning to mount coral underwater? I believe that all epoxies carry such a warning, don't they. Hey, thanks a lot for your help on this.

Depending on the coral you are trying to attach and location desired, it can be easier to use both the epoxy linked to above and a super glue gel. The seal is much stronger and should not fall as it sometimes can with just the epoxy. Basically roll a small ball of the epoxy, fashion it to the shape desired, place a small amount of glue and gentley insert the coral into the two. Dap the coral slightly to remove excess water first but do not use any pressure. Place another small amount of glue on the opposite epoxy surface to be mounted and then attach to the desired area. Basically coral-glue-epoxy-glue-mounting surface (reefrunner69 special :wink: ).

There are several super glue gel's available but be sure you get on that contains cyanoacrylate. Pretty much any hobby or hardware store should have some. I prefer >>Loctite<< but be sure it's the gel and not just a liquid.

Cheers
Steve

I can order the epoxy that you're both speaking of but I'm a little unclear about one thing....I don't want so much to mount coral onto a rock but rather, I want to attach the rock that the coral's already mounted to onto a piece of live rock that's already in the tank. Would I need to use super glue gel in addition to the epoxy to do that? If I do need the super glue gel, how do I apply it in that case?.....

...or is it all right to put epoxy on the base of the rock the coral's mounted to and then push that onto the live rock for a seal that will take?

THANKS for the help and any further clarification on this.

Attaching a smaller rock to a larger base piece is not much different that attaching a frag. It really depends on the weight of the smaller piece and the angle to be mounted. With all the sediment and such that collects on rock, be sure you clear that off using a powerhead or turkey baster.

The epoxy alone may work well enough if the frag piece is small enough but you will have much less problems if you use the superglue gel as well. If you attempt just the epoxy route, you won't harm anything except to waste a small amount so no real loss in trying. Just be careful if this is an SPS as it can be easily damaged if it falls.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom