epsom salt for reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, my LFS ( salt only) told me to add epsom salt in my tank to raise my magnesium level , he said using B- IONIC Magnesium is taking to long, which i am using now I have been putting 25mg per day in a 65 gallon tank and it is barely moving up , that is the reason he told me to use EPSOM SALT for faster results, and put 1 1/2 lbs in, I have not used it yet I am cautious about it, has anyone used this before ?
thanks in advance

Isn't the recommended dosage for B-IONIC Magnesium 1.5ml per gal? (this dosage should raise Mg by 15ppm). 25ml/25mg may be on the low side, dosage-wise.

What is your current Mg level?

BRS has a reef calculator on their site. You can use that to figure out how much Mg you'll ultimately require (treat Epsom Salt as magnesium sulfate crystals). They recommend not increase Mg levels by more than 100ppm per day.

You may want to dilute 2-4 cups of epsom salt (if you're going with that) in a gallon of RO/DI water than add 4-oz/8oz (or less) a day and see how much a single dose raises your magnesium levels.

What salt brand are you using and do you have a lot of stony corals?

I do not know what my mag level is I have been going to the LFS with a sample and he tells me what I need , I am going to buy a Mag test today I have every other kit but not that, he told me to add 25mg daily but its not moving, so he recommended the Epsom salt I do not have any stony coral only leather coral but stony is what I want , so I am trying to get the water right before purchase , calcium is 425 and all tests are perfect,

I would think that Mg plays a greater role in stony coral reef set ups since they uptake calcium and carbonates during the skeleton building process (and magnesium-calcium-alkalinity need to be placed to degree).

Regular water changes alone may provide whatever magnesium needs a leather coral requires (small salt mixes or batches may have differing mg content).

Know your target levels and current levels of any water parameter you wish to modify before adding any product.

You should get the actual number your level is at for starters. You can safely increase you level by 50ppm per day but Epsom salt is not ideal on its own.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulfate which breaks down into magnesium and sulfate ions in saltwater. Using that quantity of Epsom will add way to much sulphate into the aquarium. A better solution is 7 parts magnesium chloride to 1 part magnesium sulphate (7:1 cups per gallon of RODI water). It does take a lot to raise mag levels into target range though so be patient.

First, you need to get your own test kits..... one of the worst things to do is rely on a LFS store to do this for you. All they're going to do is try to "upsell" you on unneeded chemicals (accessories/chemicals is their greatest profit margin).
For the most part, your magnesium is present to prevent calcium and alkalinity from precipitating out of solution (snowflaking)..... some mag is consumed by corals, but it is VERY little, and even with the cheapest salts, regular pwc's are usually more than sufficient to maintian proper levels.

Last edited:
epsom salt

going out today and buy a mag kit , thank you

Back
Top Bottom