Equipment for 38 gallon reef. Checklist inside.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewh133

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I'm about to begin my first saltwater aquarium. I have a list of equipment that I would love you guys to check over and make sure it's compatible and matches my 148 litre, 3ft wide tank. I will be running a 70ish litre sump below the tank in my cabinet.

I am planning to set up a reef tank, mainly LPS/Softies and about 3-5 fish.

Here is the equipment I have chosen so far, but have no bought. I would love some feedback!

Pump: Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 3000 ($105)

Pumps & Power Heads - Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One - Lifegard Quiet One 3000 - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 3000

Powerhead: Hydor Koralia K2

Hydor Koralia K2

Lighting: Supreme Aqua T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT 6x39W H/O 910 Long Individual Reflectors

Florescent Light Fittings And Accessories - T5 Florescent Light Fittings Supreme Aqua - T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT 6x39W H/O 910 Long Individual Reflectors - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - AQUARIUM LIGHT 4x39W T5 950 Long Fish Tank Light

Overflow: Kit from Glass-Holes (700GPH)

http://glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-complete-kit-gh700kit.htm

I have yet to choose a skimmer and would love any suggestions you have. I'm looking to spend around $150-200. I have been offered a used AquaC EV180 for a decent price. Thoughts on that skimmer for my tank?

Thanks so much for any assistance guys, I can't wait to get this up and running!

Looks like a good list! I happen to like my AquaC remora skimmer alot, though it's a HOB version.

Do you have all the little goodies that you'll need?

Water test kit, preferably a liquid kit
Refractometer for salinity ( $30 on ebay)
a ro/di water source, whether its a unit for your self or access to one at the lfs
Powerheads

the lighting fixture looks to be a good one btw, you should have no issue keeping what you want. :-D

Thanks Carey! I don't have those little things no, but they are last on my list for now. I'll get them when I have the equipment I need to keep water in the tank :) The thing I am most confused about now is the constructing of a sump (baffles/refug area), and the piping needed to connect all this to and from the tank (I'm not very good with handy work lol).

I have looked at some power heads. I thought maybe the Koralia K2 and maybe a Koralia Nano to go with it? I read it was best to get two power heads.

As for RO/DI, I decided I'll only be using RO-DI water to save myself the headaches, so I'll have to do some looking around and see who supplies it locally!

I also may have the opportunity to jump on either a brand new Red Sea Berlin Classic (w/ pump) for $150, or XL version for $200. Also, I have been offered a used AquaC180 for a decent price, which I am also considering. Any thoughts on these two at all?

I wish I could help on the sump, since i'm mechanically challenged i just bought a premade one.

there are quite a few threads on here where people have made their own sumps though, heck, you can even start a new thread in hardware if ya want. ;-)

Make sure we get pictures when youre up an set up!

Good call on the ro/di, better tio start out right than to save a few bucks.

It seems we're both mechanically challenged lol. If I can find a pre-built one I will snag it for sure.

I will most definitely get pictures once I get it up and running! I'm hoping to create a journal to keep track and hopefully use it for something other newbies can read and learn from as I am also building this tank as a newbie. I can't wait :) Just a few more equipment choices to go and a little more investigation into this sump.

Thanks for your assistance!

If anyone else can chime in regards to my two power head choices and skimmer choices that would be excellent!

Back
Top Bottom