Equipment question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal sw aquarium with 50 lb live rock (30 more coming this month) and a 20 gal sump. Exchange rate is about 400 gph between sump and tank. I have a Yellow Tang, Percula clown, 2 firefish, 2 Yellow tailed damsels and a Blue/Gold Chromis. Also have 7 assorted snails and 5 assorted hermit crabs. All my fish are young and small, so I dont feel I am currently overstocked. I am using filter floss in my overflow box for mechanical filtration, a 30/60 power filter in the sump, and an Aqua-C Remora (also in the sump).

Now for the question. Can I eliminate the power filter in the sump? Id like to use it in a qt tank/refugium Im setting up, but Im unsure if I still need it in the sump. The floss is doing a good job of mechanical filtration (at least it gets dirty as heck) and the skimmer is producing well. Along with the filtration that the rock is providing, doesnt the power filter seem redundant?

All input is welcome.

Strange that you say qt tank/refugium. They really should not be the same thing. You wont need a filter on a refugium anyway. I would not remove the power filter till after the additinal live rock arrives and is in place for a few weeks.

I only say QT/Refugium because I havent really decided which to use it as yet. I just switched from the 10 gal to the 20 gal for the sump a few days ago, so I havent made my mind up yet. Currently I am just trying to grow macros in it, but I will change it to a QT if I get any more fish in the future (not likely).

What exactly is the pump in your sump doing? Recirculation in your sump, or back to your tank? Or is it pulling water thru the floss?? Just need a better visualization.

the floss in the overflow just is being used to clean the water before it goes to the sump. THe pump is used as a return to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom