Equipment spotted at a local stockist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snotman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, great forum btw.

I have recently started a new SW tank. its my second attempt, but the last one was 5-6 years ago and was shutdown when I had to move house, but was never restarted. There has been a boom of stockists near where I live recently and the temptation prooved too great :D

My tank has just come to the end of its cycle and my first livestock has gone in. All seems to be going smoothly, even the coral that turned up on my live rock is flourishing...Bonus!

I have a quick question as I am a big fan of doing as little as possible :D
I was wandering through a lfs last weekend in a hurry to go see what their stocked tanks were like and I remember seeing what looked like a stacker stereo system behind the sales counter (about 5-6 differnet units 8" across). Can anyone tell me if this is automated water testing equipment? or if this is even possible yet. Sorry the description is a bit vague but I cant find anything like it elsewhere and the shop was a fair old trek away. I cannot think of anything other than lighting or pump controls that it could have been.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Did you ask the folks at the store? They might be able to tell you what it is. I get all of my dry goods from drsfosterandsmith.com. They have great prices and don't charge extra for weight. I would look there for the test kits/salt and other stuff.

I had a kind of flashback to my walk through the store when I was reading this forum and remembered seeing them. I dont think I noticed them at the time! (No Im not taking anything :D )

I will take a look on that site you recomend and see if I spot similar on there. Thanks

Dunno what it was that you saw, but if it was an automated water tested, I'd assume it would cost you one serious penny...I'm guessing atleast a few hundred dollars. An AP SW Master Test Kit from Drsfostersmith.com is probably around $20-$25 and pretty easy to use. :)

Welcome to AA, btw.

I agree just a 25.00 test kit is easy to use and much cheaper. Good luck on your 2nd tour of duty

I fully agree with you guys about the test kits. I was just curious about what the hell it all was!

Im planning a trip to the same place in a week or so as its my Birthday soon and you never know what the wife can be persuaded to aquire for me. So things being well I will find out what the rig was all about and will let you know (if your interested).

Ok guys, I went back and took a closer look at the equipment. Their were about 7 units in the stack in a nice 80's black ash shelving block :)

The units were 2 Ozone controllers, lighting units, temperature monitor, Salinity Monitor, Flow control (prob for sump top up), life support control unit????

Looked very flashy and gizmo like, so would probably appeal to most of us men ,ha ha. They were not priced up but the 6" wide stand was £50 (£90us), so I guess the units were not cheap.

Ahh. Ozone units alone will cost you a few hundred dollars, so yeah...those liquid kits are looking alot better huh? :) That is definitley a few hundred - thousand dollar unit.

Back
Top Bottom