Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Eradicating Caulerpa from display?

I'm about at the end of my wits here.

I had this pesky patch of Caulerpa crop up in my display tank (180g sps tank) a few weeks back. No idea where it came from, but suddenly it's just *there*. To the best of my knowledge, it's feather caulerpa (Caulerpa sertularioides).

I kalk pasted the heck out of it, it turned yellow, seemed to die off a bit, and within a day or so was back in it's full glory. I've tried to manually remove it, but it breaks off easily, and I'm nervous about sending little shoots all over the tank. At least right now it's only in one spot.

Over the past weekend, it decided to take up home in, and totally engulf one of my favorite sps - my Anacropora sp. It has almost killed the coral completely.

I'm going to be breaking the coral off it's rock tonight, placing it in a bucket, and manually removing all of the macro. Hopefully the coral will recover, but I know there are at least a few healthy branches I can frag if need be.

Unfortunately, the Caulerpa isn't confined to this coral. It's gotten pretty intertwined in the entire rock structure, and is heading for a couple other corals. I've toyed with the idea of removing the entire rock and scrubbing - but that's kind of a "last choice" - the rock is huge - probably 25lbs, and about 1/2 the left side of my tank, with several corals on it.

Any suggestions at all? None of my three Tangs (Hippo, Yellow, and Purple) touch the stuff. I'm not really one for adding a fish just to solve one problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a side view of the Coral & Caulerpa ... you can see how the coral is bleaching...

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

A close-up shot:

Old 10-30-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found a humongous FAQ with posts regarding this here:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caulerpafaq3.htm

Lots of people dealing with the same issue. I hope you can find something interesting in there.

One of the things mentioned was a lettuce nudibranch.

HTH
Old 10-30-2003, 05:51 PM   #4

Ahh, the dreaded Caulerpa Taxifolia... Nothing will kill that stuff... It just lives forever... Even Jacques Cousteau couldn't get rid of the stuff after he introduced it to the Ocean in Italy (Mediterranean).. It took over the coast and pretty much killed off every bit of life other than itself.... No fish will touch it because of the toxins in it... In California, they had to resort to Chlorine treatments to eradicate much of their outbreaks. It is a shame that it is even sold in our LFS's... I wish I could tell you how to get rid of it, all I know is some history behind the nasty specie of Caulerpa...
Old 10-30-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Well, I decided to go for broke. Pulled the coral out (plus three others off the rock), and took the whole rock out. Toothbrushed the rock to death.

Caulerpa mess, anyone?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

That poor coral is so brittle to start with - it basically fell apart like Ritz crackers.

Anacropora frags?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Put thw rock back in, glued a few frags of the Anacropora to a small piece of rock. Hopefully it will grow back to its former glory, and the Caulerpa won't!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:50 PM   #8

hmmm, sorry you had to go to such extremes. Hopefully the Anacropora will grow back even bigger than before.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks, timbo. I didn't wan't to have to do it twice ... or three of four times, and I've been fighting this stuff for a few weeks now. It stunk to see the coral just crumble into a zillion pieces, but what I managed to glue onto the rock is still bigger than the original frag I got back in January:

]

Now I just need to find a home for the other 20-odd frags of it I have left. 8)
Old 10-30-2003, 09:29 PM   #10

I'll take one or two

Tags
caulerpa

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com