Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 240 has the top removed from the hood. Depending in what lights you go with, you can probably come up with a way to mount them. Light does come out the top, but it has never bothered me.

Nice score too. Amazing that someone donated that instead of selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey X, You think it is too much? I thought about it and decided to go bigger and dial it down if I need to. The manual encourages restricting it (at the outlet) bc it will "lower the amperage and lengthen the life of the seal"...

I will also be teeing off the main return to feed a separate refugium and both DT returns will have ball valves that I can adjust.

If it is still too much, it came with a smaller impeller to lower it to 2600

I am contemplating getting some buckets of sand from the beach but I'm sure with my luck I'll either get arrested or the sand I collect will be contaminated with some toxin that will nuke the tank.

Todd- glad to hear it, I may end up going open to try it out.

The tank was donated to the thrift store and I got it from them for 800.

The setup came with an aqua c ev 240 without a pump. It recommends a mag18 but was wondering if anyone has used anything different?

I added a new piece of plywood on the bottom because the old one looked pretty worn, then I coated the whole interior in polyurethane.

Here is a layout of the return plumbing. I'm waiting on a bulkhead to finish the sump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431883448.541903.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	272403

Old 05-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, I was talking to another reefer buddy and he recommended against the deep sand bed. He said that pockets of gas can form which, if disturbed, can wipeout the tank. Research has yielded mixed opinions. And seems like something they used to do more than today. Anyone with experience with DSB in a display tank and what were the results?

Old 05-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That pockets of gas thing is nonsense. Everyone who never had a DSB says that. A DSB is fine to use for filtration and is a benefit. Are you thinking of digging down to the bottom of your 6" sand bed for any reason anytime soon? If you are that against it, go purchase some limestone and put that on the bottom, and sand on top. This way you an still have your 6" buffer, but no risk of "nuking gasses"...lol.
I would put the smaller impeller in the pump and start from there. You can always add the larger impeller and even so, you may be choking it back anyway.

The max recommended tank is a 240 gallon for the ev240 and that's without sump and even livestock. Way underpowered IMO, and probably contributed to getting the original owner to send this tank to the thrift store.
IMO, you have way too many 90's in your plumbing. Always as little turns as possible.

As for the sand, what toxins are you expecting to be in the beach sand? a stray cigarette butt? Just rinse the stuff out, just like you are going to rinse the bagged sand you will end up buying. It's the same , calcium based, sand.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
Here it is with the top.

Attachment 272352

The top is nice, but not very functional. First off, because it opens from the top, it adds 5 inches to an already tall tank- so it's 3 feet from the bottom up to the rim of the hood.

Second, I have no idea how I'm going to mount the LEDs. I could try to fasten them to the top but it is already pretty heavy, and it just doesn't seem very practical.

Here's the sump it came with.

Attachment 272353

The sump is setup with a 1 inch bulkhead but the pump has a 2 inch inlet and it says not to restrict the input. I will need to cut a bigger hole to fit a two inch bulkhead.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning the sump and cutting the hole. I will also be adding a liberal coat of polyurethane to the inside panels of the stand, then begin plumbing.

That's amazing you got such a nice tank and stand. Wow! Beautiful wood to. Good luck with the upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks!

As for the skimmer I thought about the fact that it is rated for up to 240 but it's just going to have to do for now and I will upgrade it later.

I don't know if I'll be able to use less 90s bc the holes are in the back, not bottom. I could try to use a couple 45s in some of the places.

As for the sand I think I will try the real deal and just rinse it good.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post

I don't know if I'll be able to use less 90s bc the holes are in the back, not bottom. I could try to use a couple 45s in some of the places.

try to use spa flex hose(nylon reinforced) from the last valve to tank conection.
That will eliminate a lot of 90s and get you better flow.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hear you, and agree the flex tubing is way easier to work with, but with this much water and flow rate I decided to keep it rigid.

Finished most of the plumbing today and got some sand from another reefer that upgraded from 180 to 300 recently and was getting rid of it. After a good rinsing I threw it in. It's probably 1/2 - 1/3 of where I want it to be.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432090134.876994.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	272540

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432090156.743956.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	272541

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432090181.929427.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	272542

I am waiting on a 2" bulkhead I ordered from eBay, then I can finish the sump. The same guy that gave me the sand offered me his old 75 sump for free, which I would like to do, but being 20" high it would only give me 6" or so to work above it which is tighter than I would like.

I am shooting to have it filled with water this weekend.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Nice job. Looks real clean. How did the leak test go?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I haven't been able to leak test the plumbing since I am waiting for a piece to finish it.

I found some more sand, rock, and a few fish a guy is getting rid of on craigslist, plan to go check it all out tomorrow.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com