Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

The plumbing looks great. Yea make sure you do that leak test. I had an issue with mine where I didn't use enough pipe glue on one of my elbows and it leaked. I was lucky though the elbow was over top the sump. Can't wait to see it all come together and flourishing with life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I mounted my LED light on the top/outside of my canopy and it is working fine.
Canopy for Galaxyhydro 165 watt LED
Could something like that work in your set-up?
you could also cut some doors into the front panel for easy access for daily stuff like feeding.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of doing something like this.

Got some rock and sand today and the guy had a pair of Picasso clowns and a tomini he threw in.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432345976.475914.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  13.1 KB

You can't really tell but it's a good variety of with several flat and shelf pieces.

Here are the clowns. They're pretty small so I plan to leave them in this 10 until the main td is ready and they will go in first.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432346157.072964.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  11.0 KB
Old 05-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of doing something like this.

Got some rock and sand today and the guy had a pair of Picasso clowns and a tomini he threw in.

Attachment 272710

You can't really tell but it's a good variety of with several flat and shelf pieces.

Here are the clowns. They're pretty small so I plan to leave them in this 10 until the main td is ready and they will go in first.

Attachment 272711
Nice pair of clowns you picked up.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, B! One's not doing great so I did 50% wc and added an airstone- he was breathing fast near the top of the tank. Hopefully he'll make it.

Added the sand and new rock today. I also started filling it with water! 😄

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432413428.358651.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	272742

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432413485.526649.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	272743

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432413540.062197.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	272744

I'm going for a 2 pillar rockscape with a channel through the middle with lots of caves and overhangs.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks, B! One's not doing great so I did 50% wc and added an airstone- he was breathing fast near the top of the tank. Hopefully he'll make it.

Added the sand and new rock today. I also started filling it with water! 😄

Attachment 272742

Attachment 272743

Attachment 272744

I'm going for a 2 pillar rockscape with a channel through the middle with lots of caves and overhangs.
That will be pretty cool and the fish will love it.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the tank is full and the sump is filling up now- slow going since I decided to just stick the rodi line straight into the tank and turn on the water. Then when it was full enough I started adding salt. It's so slow it's kinda like watching grass grow.

The drain plumbing is sealed, had a tiny drip with 1 bulkhead which was an easy fix.

Getting close now!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432864507.587892.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	272916

On a sad note I got rid of one of the new clowns. He was not looking good the day after I got him and he wasn't getting better. A couple days ago he looked pale and was breathing fast and the other clown was picking on him so my neighbor offered to put him in his tank to try to revive him.

I will now have a motley crew trio of clowns in the new tank: an occy, a maroon, and a Picasso... At least it will be in a big tank.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:48 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long did it take for your rodi to fill the tank? Just seeing if buying one is worth while

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It took 3 days straight to fill up to just under the overflow. Then probably another 5 hours to fill up the overflows and the sump half way. I am going away for 2 days so I'm leaving it as is until I get back to turn the main pump on. Im sure it will be fine but I want to be close for the first few days in case of any disasters.

The rodi filter is a must IMO, I'm saving hundreds just with this initial setup: my lfs charges $2 per gallon of sw so that would've been over 400 right there. The filter is 150 and a box of salt is 50. Also, having it for top off is awesome.

I added a big chunk of my homemade fish food to start the cycle.

I ran out of salt and it's at 1.020 so once more salt gets here I will begin adding live rock from the 90 to hopefully speed up the cycle.

Some tidal snails survived in one of the batches of sand I put in, which Is pretty cool considering both tanks I got the sand from have been broken down for a couple weeks.

The next big to do item is the hood mod. I decided that I will be cutting the entire top length wise and fastening the front and front part of the sides together, then add a piano hinge so the back part will always stay closed. Then I will cut holes in the top of the back part for the lights to rest on. This will allow for me have plenty of room to get in the tank without having to move the lighting.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
The rodi filter is a must IMO, I'm saving hundreds just with this initial setup: my lfs charges $2 per gallon of sw so that would've been over 400 right there.
OUCH!!!
Man I guess I'm lucky because the store I have been getting water at only charges .39 a gallon, but I think part of that is because most folks, like me, can't leave the place without dropping $50 + on other stuff...LOL
They also test each new batch and post the parameters so you know what you are getting.
I have yet to go there and leave with only water.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com