Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #71
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

wow eric your catching up to paul & bribo nice job no doubt

Old 02-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves lol.

So I took in a water sample to the LFS today, and they use seachem. Calcium was confirmed at 300, which is in line with what my api kit shows. Alkalinity, however, was 1 meq/l, or 2.8 dkh. That is way off from the 7 dkh or 2.5 meq/l my api test shows. I mean, we are talking 60% lower, or better yet, the api kit is showing a result that is 150% higher than the actual level!

So I am in the market for a new alkalinity test kit, what do you guys use?According to this article: Product Review: Alkalinity Test Kit Showdown — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
Salifert and seachem yielded results that were within 10-11% of the actual alkalinity level, which the author considers acceptable. Red sea was approx 19% low, but the author admitted that it is subjective as it is very difficult to distinguish the color value. The other kit is Tetra, which the author said was 32% higher than the actual level and thinks the regents were a faulty batch. This article is almost 10 years old, so all of this could be different now, but what I do know is at the fish store today, it took him about 30 seconds to do the seachem KH test, so I am leaning in that direction. I know of the hanna checkers, but everyone seems to prefer the phosphate checker and I have not heard much about the others like KH and CA.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Erich,

I've had good luck with the Salifert kits.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the Salifert tests as well. I like them better than the API test kits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well salifert it is then, eBay had a kit for 12.50. Thanks for chiming in!

Now to rectify the issue. First thing I did was go to the calculator on brs.com to figure out how to get from 1 to 3.5 meq/l alk and from 300 to 420 ca. I need to add a total of 2200 ml of alk and 2702 ml of CA. I then added 200ml of fluval alkalinity supplement that I had lying around. I also mixed up the brs 2 part, waited about an hour then added 150ml of ca. After doing some research I read that mg is the glue that holds ca and KH together in the reef tank, and that if MG is low, it is very difficult to maintain the proper KH and CA. So back to brs calculator which says I need to dose 2082 grams to go from 1000 to 1300 in my tank. So I mixed up 250 grams with some rodi last night and threw it in. I plan to continue this regimen daily until the numbers are where I want them: 420 for CA, 3.5 meq/L for KH and 1300 for MG. then I will monitor its depletion rate over a 5 day period to determine the daily dose amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well it's been a while but the tank is coming along pretty good. It has been tough maintaining proper levels for calcium and alkalinity but I can't complain because I haven't been able to devote as much time to it as I would like to. It's not terrible or anything, no big die offs, but the coral just doesn't seem to be growing much. I recently got the esv 2 part that comes half full, and you add rodi to it, had great reviews from other users so I figured I would give it a shot. I have been adding 100 to 150 ML per day for about a week and I think some of the corals look better.

As for fish I have had a blue tang and a sail fun tang, both died suddenly after about two months, I added a yellow tang and he has been doing good. A friend broke down his tank so he gave me a nice sized foxface, 3 PJ cardinal fish, and a coral banded shrimp. Ill post pics soon.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I had a fox face and he was a sneaky coral nipper. It was all I could do to catch him and rehome before he did some damage to my coral.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
I had a fox face and he was a sneaky coral nipper. It was all I could do to catch him and rehome before he did some damage to my coral.

Bummer! So far I haven't seen this one munching on any coral, hopefully he doesn't develop a taste for it. Unless he decides to eat Palys, that I am all for!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beautiful tank. I love the yellow tangs. They are such a pop of color.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com