Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eric's 240 build

Green palythoas are slowly taking over my 90 so I have decided to just upgrade. I found a 240g tall (72 x 24 x 31) on craigslist at a local thrift store I guess it was donated by someone so they were just trying to get rid of it, so I got it for a steal! The stand is solid teak and comes with a matching lid. It came with a ton of extra miscellaneous stuff, but did not include a return pump so I picked up a reeflo dart/snapper, leaving the dart impeller in it, which is 3600 gph. The only way I could convince my wife to do this upgrade was by agreeing to keep extra purchases at a bare minimum. So my goal for the thread is to show how one could do a larger tank without having to spend 10k. Im planning on this being a mixed reef with lot's of fish. I encourage and welcome all comments and suggestions along the way.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431608929.182413.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	272246

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431608950.409526.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	272247

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thats a nice BIG tank, can you show a pic of the top too please? i like the wood stand.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here it is with the top.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431741438.031126.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	272352

The top is nice, but not very functional. First off, because it opens from the top, it adds 5 inches to an already tall tank- so it's 3 feet from the bottom up to the rim of the hood.

Second, I have no idea how I'm going to mount the LEDs. I could try to fasten them to the top but it is already pretty heavy, and it just doesn't seem very practical.

Here's the sump it came with.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431742177.618759.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	272353

The sump is setup with a 1 inch bulkhead but the pump has a 2 inch inlet and it says not to restrict the input. I will need to cut a bigger hole to fit a two inch bulkhead.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning the sump and cutting the hole. I will also be adding a liberal coat of polyurethane to the inside panels of the stand, then begin plumbing.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice score!
Are you handy carpentry wise?
I had same setup with top and built a "lifter" with three doors for easy access on my 180.
By adding an extra 12-16 inches in the canopy height I also have three doors that make easy access to top of tank.
Look at my pics and you will see different tanks that are basically the same.
Before and after the lift.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I like to think of myself as handy but I am also realistic. My dad, however, is a carpenter by trade and loves little side jobs like this, so I may have to pick his brain for ideas.

I checked out your pics, coralbandit, and you have some nice tanks! I saw one pic with the hood open and could see what I think you were talking about - a lift for the light setup? I like the idea, but unsure how I would fabricate it with the hood as is. I have seen other tanks with this feature where the lid itself is hooked up to some type of lift.

The system came setup with a retro fit cfl lighting system but I'm thinking that would be downgrade from a lighting perspective, in my opinion.

I also thought about nixing the top altogether and just going for the open top but am concerned about the extra light spilling out into the house.

As for now, I will be putting some braces across the width of the tank for the lights to rest on but will definitely plan for a hood mod at some point.

I have decided to do a pretty deep sand bed in the DT. I'm going for 6 inches or so, just so I can work on the bottom if I need to. I also want to go for some nice undulation and banks with the sb. According to this calculator: Sand Bed Calculator I will need 420 lbs of sand!!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Picked up a new toy!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431795339.509481.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	272369

Found it on CL for 175 and barely used.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the 2 FTS are dark,but one has a lid like yours that opened on top(I built it),and the second has the "middle section" placed on top of tank with the lid on it(just a 3 sided light shield).
The pic with door open shows the window in the hood that is above the tank before the addition and how I hang my lights.
Your dad can definitely make something pretty easy I would think.
Nice score on the V!
Old 05-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

That looks great will be watching with interest!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think your return pump is way too big for this system. 2000 gph is plenty. You will find you are going to want to choke this pump way back.
As for the sand, you live in Florida....just go down to the beach with a wheel barrow!

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com