established filter from freshwater to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting to get bored of planted tanks now and I'm starting to seriously consider starting my first saltwater tank. I have a 20 gallon long tank that will be the new saltwater tank, and I'm going to sell all of my plants, fish, fertilizers and CO2 on craigslist. But I want to know if I can instantly cycle the new saltwater tank with my filter that was in my freshwater tank? Is there a way to acclimate the bacteria? Or will I just have to use traditional cycling? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Sorry I can't help you but if you are looking to sell the CO2 setup I am looking for one.

If you are interested in getting rid of it please PM me.

Interesting what the answer is but just as a guess I am going to say it wont work.

Yeah that's what I've thought. I've done a little more research and it turns out that Nitrosococcus and Nitrococcus are the bacteria in saltwater while Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter, Nitrospira, and Nitrosolobus are the ones in freshwater.

I think I'll just use biospira.

Back
Top Bottom