Estimate for 80 Gallon RR aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dd7070

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please anybody help me out.
I really don't know it is good price or expensive.

This below is what I got estimate from local aqua businessman.
They don't make anything but order to their cooperators.

Deep Blue 80 RR Gallon Frag Tank Rimless - $ 500.00

40 Gallon Sump, 3 chambers with Refugium - Custom Built - $ 250.00

Deep Blue Cabinet Series II 48x24 - $ 364.00

Reef Octopus Skimmer Diablo 200gal - $ 385.00

Bulkhead, 1 return locline (3.4 inch) - $ 50.00

Ehiem 1262 Return Pump - $ 179.00

Koralia Evolution Powerhead 1400 - $ 119.98

Ehiem Jager 200W Heaters - $ 53.99

Delivery and installation - $ 500.00

Anybody got experience about set new RR aquarium up by local shop
please give me some know how.

I'll appreciate you.

That's retail on everything and you'll learn quickly that if you pay retail for everything you'll wind up spending 5x as much as most people with the same setup.. get on CL and other classifieds and look for gently used or new unused aquariums that people are getting rid of. I pretty much got that same list only half the size of everything (drilled 46 bowfront reef setup) for $100....

Like mrc said that's retail, but pretty fair, if your going to go that route then that's fine. I shop for deals, but there's something to be said for buying everything new if you got the cash.

Only thing is the delivery and installation, I would ask them for a deal on that since your buying so much product, or maybe post an add on craigslist I'm sure a local reefer with a truck would get you set up and going for like $200. And you may even make a friend , if you were in the nashville area I would surely do it lol.

Based on the items listed I don't think the goal is a pieced together craigslist buy.

Lepomis said:
Based on the items listed I don't think the goal is a pieced together craigslist buy.

Why would you say that? All these products can be found on CL or through other reefers on forums. If your asking if its a decent price then money obviously is of some concern which honestly it should be for everybody to some extent. There are many members on here with reef tanks that'll rival any public aquarium display and they've been pieced together through 3rd party purchases.

The key to it is patience which setting up the aquarium is the best time to learn to get used to it cause once you begin your reef (which I'm going under the assumption this will be your first) you'll figure out only bad things happen fast ;)

I would also reccomend online shopping for smaller equipment especially through brs during group buys which a few members on here host so we have about one a month and they last for a week so everybody gets a chance to do their shopping.. sorry for all the posts though lol just wanna save you a few bucks with knowing how much money I've probably just thrown away through trial and error :x

Much of those items would not be bad to buy new, and the prices are not that bad, I think the korallia is a little high but nothing is that far off retail.
Where you could really save is buy a used tank and stand, you could save $500 easy by shopping Around on that, although rimless tanks are much less common on the second hand market than standard tanks atleast in my area.

Also for that type of money you may want to check out the redsea max tank, they are all in one tanks that look really nice and they have a great lighting and filtration system built in and from what I hear good support after the sale.

Here's a link to the redsea max 66g
http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_HP_250.html

Search results for: '' - Bulk Reef Supply

PS - the white ones look awesome, my local fish store has one set up as a display tank and it is stunning

Buying used you could find a 300g tank for that price, craigslist.

If you built your own you could cut the cost in half. Even more if you bought the 40g used.

Can build your own for half the price and make it exactly how you want.

Good skimmer probably would not skimp here.

Normal, however usually used tanks will include most of this plumping.

Another piece thats good new

Gonna want more than 1 powerhead so factor that in.

Normal

Do all this yourself or with a friends help and you have 500 in your pocket. Personally I would not let someone else setup my tank, also if you dont know how, then now is a good time to learn. Lots of learning to do in this hobby.

By going through a local business man, you are going through atleast 3 people that need to make a profit, so your going to spend that much more.

first you have the guy setting it up, then you have the guys custom making some of the stuff, and then you have his supplier, and probably a few more down the road. Most of the 'Custom' stuff is easily made yourself. Just trying to help you save some money, few things not listed that will cost just as much if not more than all the stuff listed combined. Those items being lighting, live rock, sand, and livestock/coral.

Last edited:
You can get rimless frag tanks on eBay for half that easy. Rimless is hard to find on Craigslist. The best way to save- like everyone else has said- is to do a lot DIY.

http://bit.ly/NKWq9X

Also- is this just for frags? If so- why not save the money and run it off your current system? I'm setting up a frag tank and running all the equipment and PVC out of my main tank's sump

This wasn't I have X amount of dollars how can I get the biggest tank possible question. I think most have missed the point. His other thread would fall more into that category. His question is simply is what he has listed fair price or not? Unless I misunderstood him last night the power head price is for two and he has no options as far as help to move the tank. He has to have it delivered and installed as he can't do it himself.

Not if you can find a 250 gallon acrylic tank on craigslist for 100 bucks? Not if you can find a rimmed frag tank, etc... Not that if you have the tools and skills can build a stand for less....

He has a specific list for a reason, perhaps he likes the clean looks of a rimless tank, perhaps he only has that much space available for a 48 inch long tank, etc....

Lepomis said:
This wasn't I have X amount of dollars how can I get the biggest tank possible question. I think most have missed the point. His other thread would fall more into that category. His question is simply is what he has listed fair price or not? Unless I misunderstood him last night the power head price is for two and he has no options as far as help to move the tank. He has to have it delivered and installed as he can't do it himself.

Not if you can find a 250 gallon acrylic tank on craigslist for 100 bucks? Not if you can find a rimmed frag tank, etc... Not that if you have the tools and skills can build a stand for less....

He has a specific list for a reason, perhaps he likes the clean looks of a rimless tank, perhaps he only has that much space available for a 48 inch long tank, etc....

No its not i have x amount of dollars he wants to know if he is getting a good deal and most of us have informed him if he is gonna go the retail route then yes that is the correct pricing roughly but with that being said we are trying to be helpful and offer advice on saving money and setting up a more personalized tank. If he doesn't wanna take our advice that is up to him but you don't have to be his "representative" and speak and behalf of the op.. if he likes our alternative ideas great. If not then we have informed him he is in the average price range for retail. None of us are trying to force him to take another direction just offering our 2 cents which imo is better then just saying yes thats fair or no that's not.

dd7070 said:
Please anybody help me out.
I really don't know it is good price or expensive.

This below is what I got estimate from local aqua businessman.
They don't make anything but order to their cooperators.

Anybody got experience about set new RR aquarium up by local shop
please give me some know how.

I'll appreciate you.

That is nuts for the price of that tank....I just quoted the same tank at my lfs for $360. Somebody is taking major advantage in my opinion.

That is nuts for the price of that tank....I just quoted the same tank at my lfs for $360. Somebody is taking major advantage in my opinion.

If that was for the Edge (rimless) size good price. They make the same tank with rim that general retails for 360 range.

Lepomis said:
If that was for the Edge (rimless) size good price. They make the same tank with rim that general retails for 360 range.

Yeah I was quoted for the reef ready rimless 80 gallon frag tank. This was not a in store sale as it had to be custom ordered.

Back
Top Bottom