Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Ethics of anemone keeping

I just read in a book that anemones are thought of as spreading and reproducing slowly in nature. Adult anemones are supposedly centuries old and as a result of this slow growth process, less and less juveniles are seen on the reef.

I found this interesting and a little worrisome given the number of anemones being traded. I am currently in the process of stocking my tank and like most, also love to watch the symbiosis of a clownfish and its host anemone. The obvious solution is to only purchase captive-propagated species but from what I read most are wild caught. I'm not sure what my LFS does here but will soon find out. I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone had an opinion on this.

The book is called: "Marine Invertebrates" by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.

72gal bowfront, 5gal sump, 45lbs LR, 260watt PC (2-65watt actinics, 2-65watt 10,000k), AquaC Urchin Pro skimmer, 2 Maxi-jet 1200 ph's.
ctmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
i think its bad taking them from the wild but i still have 1 and am partualy responsible for 2 mishaps
i also dond agree with taking wild fish and inverts but i also dont wanna pay 200 dollars for a damsil either

i have crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Cnidarians don't "get older". The physically don't age. Theoretically, they can live "forever" in the ocean, but it's just not likely. They usually die off in less than 100 years due to some outside natural cause.

I agree however, that some people who get anemones just aren't ready for them, and it's sad that they do die. They are very easy to propagate though, if the correct time and patience and work is put into it. Some anemones will bud on their own, and some can be fragged to grow into 2 new anemones.

Just my thoughts. There are many places that sell only aquacultured corals and anemones. I know Drs. Foster and Smith Website (www.liveaquaria.com) just opened a new coral aquaculture center. They might be worth checking out. 8)

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Joining a reef club is a good way to get aquacultured items. In my club we trade frags all the time. The anemone I have now is from another members anemone. His BTA has produced several and he then gives them to members who want them. I want to say right now there are about 5-7 members who have anemones that are a product of 1.
Every meeting we have frag trades, this not only saves money it helps save wild corals. Well, I like to think it helps save wild corals
I also agree with Devilishturtles that people get them when there tanks are not ready for them. They are delicate creatures and need mature tanks with great water quality and proper lighting.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any anemone I get is aquacultured. You will pay a little more for these but they are typically hardier and fare better.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com