Ethics of anemone keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctmedman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just read in a book that anemones are thought of as spreading and reproducing slowly in nature. Adult anemones are supposedly centuries old and as a result of this slow growth process, less and less juveniles are seen on the reef.

I found this interesting and a little worrisome given the number of anemones being traded. I am currently in the process of stocking my tank and like most, also love to watch the symbiosis of a clownfish and its host anemone. The obvious solution is to only purchase captive-propagated species but from what I read most are wild caught. I'm not sure what my LFS does here but will soon find out. I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone had an opinion on this.

The book is called: "Marine Invertebrates" by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.

ctmedman

i think its bad taking them from the wild but i still have 1 and am partualy responsible for 2 mishaps
i also dond agree with taking wild fish and inverts but i also dont wanna pay 200 dollars for a damsil either

Cnidarians don't "get older". The physically don't age. Theoretically, they can live "forever" in the ocean, but it's just not likely. They usually die off in less than 100 years due to some outside natural cause.

I agree however, that some people who get anemones just aren't ready for them, and it's sad that they do die. They are very easy to propagate though, if the correct time and patience and work is put into it. Some anemones will bud on their own, and some can be fragged to grow into 2 new anemones.

Just my thoughts. There are many places that sell only aquacultured corals and anemones. I know Drs. Foster and Smith Website (www.liveaquaria.com) just opened a new coral aquaculture center. They might be worth checking out. 8)

Joining a reef club is a good way to get aquacultured items. In my club we trade frags all the time. The anemone I have now is from another members anemone. His BTA has produced several and he then gives them to members who want them. I want to say right now there are about 5-7 members who have anemones that are a product of 1.
Every meeting we have frag trades, this not only saves money it helps save wild corals. Well, I like to think it helps save wild corals :?
I also agree with Devilishturtles that people get them when there tanks are not ready for them. They are delicate creatures and need mature tanks with great water quality and proper lighting.

Any anemone I get is aquacultured. You will pay a little more for these but they are typically hardier and fare better.

Back
Top Bottom