ETSS vs. EuroReef Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalfishman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wanted to try and get some feedback regarding an issue I have. I recently set up my 125g tank. With it I pruchase a new ETSS 600 Protein Skimmer. This skimmer is external to my sump and is hooked up to an Iwaki 40RLT pump. The tank has been running for about 3 months and I haven't had any issues with water quality at all so I presume the skimmer is working well. However, the skimmer also requires a lot of attention compared to my Aqua C Remora which I use on my 46 gallon tank. When I say 'attention' I mean that I am still tweaking the ball valve a hair here and there to get the 'perfect' dry foam. I have the 1 gallon overflow and some mornings I will get up and the thing will be full, while other times I won't have a drop in it. I guess I am a little frustrated.

Anyway, after three months I am also running out of space in my stand. I could really us the space where the skimmer and pump sits. So I was considering replacing my ETSS with a EuroReef because the EuroReef sits inside of the sump. Even though I have heard a lot of good things about EuroReef, my LFS stated that the downdraft skimming that ETSS is better (which I realize is their point of view). However, they also stated that it is better to have a skimmer external to the sump rather than in the sump because of overflow from the overflow cup of the EuroReef skimmer back into the sump (and he gave me a couple of other reasons).

I was hoping that somebody could chime in here and give me their opinions on ETSS versus EuroReef or an in-sump skimmer versus an extrernal-to-sump skimmer, or make a recommendation as to what I should do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks... :)

I tend to agree, that external to the pump would be preferred, but there is nothing wrong with in sump skimmers. Any overflow issues can be cured with a nipple some hose and a 1-3 gallon bucket ;) An appropriately sized EuroReef skimmer (or knock off) can't be beat IMO. Especially if your having that kind of problem with the ETSS, although I am wondering if you don't have too much pump on it, it may be too much skimmer for your tank and bioload ;)

Euroreefs are simply the best on the market. The knock offfs are OK but made very cheaply in my opinion. Euroreefs are set and forget. THe only thing you have to do is clean the sponge on the output once a week.

Perhaps you might try a gate valve between the pump and skimmer before you buy another skimmer? Cut the flow a little and see if that solves your adjustment problems? It'll only cost a few $ to try. Another option would be an Aqua C EV series. For a 180 or 240, you'd either have to cut the flow or go with a smaller pump. The 400 is rated for the 40RLT, but that's a lot of skimmer...even for a 125.

I'll second the EV series. Mine was pushing good foan in the first 12 hours and hasn't stoped. Easy to set and easy to clean as the collection cup comes off with a simple twist. Can be used either inside or out of the sump so no matter what comes down the road you are set.

I'll third the Ev series skimmers.. Mine was pushing nice foam within the first 48hrs and hasnt stopped since.. Very easy to clean and set and forget as well. Also in my opinion it looks a bit more professional than the Euros

James

Back
Top Bottom