evaporation problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyG33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Actually, First i need to know which type of water to use to refill my saltwater sump filter with after evaporation... fresh water or salt water? :confused: it is an open top acrylic sump, with protein skimmer...seems to be losing about a half to a gallon a day in evaporation... any way i could reduce that and still have it work properly and provide proper filtration?

You need to use RO/DI water not salt water. When water evaporates from your tank the salt is still in there but with less water. Which makes your salinity rise. You can get a custom piece of acrylic cut and put that on your main tank to reduce evaporation. And what size tank do you have?

I know to use RODI fresh water for refilling the tank.. the tank has a plastic hood. it is a 29G glass aquarium. im asking about evaporation from the sump filter itself... the filter is below the tank, it is acrylic, no top... hard to put a top on it with the protein skimmer and the return hose and such. the sump it self loses water.. thinking its evaporation... i refill it with RODI fresh water as well?

Yes you do the same. Put RO/DI in the sump. There's not really much I could think you could do.. Add an auto top off

A half gallon per day evaporation for a 29 gal tank seems to be too much. My 60 gal evaporates only 1/4 gal per day. Too much water splashing or leak in your tank may be.

My 60gal with 20gal sump loses about 3/4 gal of water due to evaporation a day

My 75 with a 55 sump loses a little over a gallon a day

My suggestion would be to invest in a JBJ ATO and wave bye bye to topping off your tank forever. It was the single best purchase i've made for my tank.

My suggestion would be to invest in a JBJ ATO and wave bye bye to topping off your tank forever. It was the single best purchase i've made for my tank.
Agreed. You do not want to cover both the tank and sump. PH will be a problem most likely if so. Gas exchange at the water surface is very important. You are better off with the evap.

Back
Top Bottom