Haha, here is the update!
It was definitely NOT as easy as I thought. Actually, nothing went as planned, but I already started so I figured I might as well finish.
The skeleton on the coral is EXTREMELY soft and porous, which I didn’t expect. Put too much pressure in one spot and it seems the skeleton cracked. This made it hard to actually pry apart like the “directions” said. But...no problem.
I ended up being too scared to try and pry it apart with the screwdriver, sooo… I took a drill bit and I drilled holes every few mm, hoping that the porous skeleton would work to my advantage. It did. After I finished the holes, the fragged area practically fell off. I used the razor blade to carefully cut away the tissue inbetween the ridges in the coral and the pulled gently and it came over good as new.
So far everything seems to be fine, but a few days will tell.
I’m umm…excited? Hehe. I took this because goggles are important! Yuck does go in your face. And it’s not pretty. Eye protection is good.
So equipment. The Dremel, goggles, gloves, a razor blade, screwdriver, also a bucket of saltwater is needed, and the coral, of course.
A shot of the coral with the bubbles retracted. The trick is to fan the coral with your hand until you get it to retract.
Here is a shot of the coral during the dremel process. It wasn’t working too well, mainly I think because I had the wrong piece. So then I decided to try a small drill bit to drill down, because of the unusually porous skeleton…
Another “in process shot”
What you don’t want to happen while you’re cutting a coral…
After the fragged part came off. You can see how pourous the skeleton is in this picture. Very fragile.
Another shot of the coral post fragging. I didn’t like how the edges were turning brown, so I thought I’d ought to wrap things up quickly.
This little piece chipped off unexpectedly. There is some flesh there, so we’ll see how it does!
The successfully fragged part. Turned out pretty good, except it is cracked in the middle. I’m hoping that letting it sit still for a few days/weeks will sorta heal it over.
Another shot of the fragged piece.
The coral 10 minutes after fragging. It’s opened up completely, which really makes me feel good!
The big frag. Doesn’t look as good in this picture, but even minutes after I took this picture more bubbles are coming out. I’ll get an updated picture before I go to bed.
Finally, the small piece. Got some bubbles sticking out! Which is nice too.
Overall, I’m happy! It seems to have worked, even though nothing went right.