Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ever heard of this happening?

OK I got a new 175w MH w/ (2) 65w PC actinics recently I put it above my 92 corner tank on blocks lifting it about 4 inches off the glass surface, well after 2 days imagine my surprise to come home and find my glass caopy lid broken and sitting at the bottom of my tank, thank goodness the light didnt deep six as well it stayed out of the tank luckily. So anyone ever heard of that before?

Old 01-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

See my post about my new glass tops. Happened to me a month or so ago.....but I didn't have them raised at all. Now I do...but not 4" so now you got me all worried that it will happen again. Do you have a canopy over the lights as well? and how thick were your tops?

Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion
and the almighty domino Damsel
the21kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are these MH hoods? I thought they were meant to sit right on top of the tank. Can they not be over glass at all?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

*gasp*

Every coral tank at the LFS's always have their tank with the lids off and the $800-1000 metal halides hanging from the ceiling about 6-12" from the surface.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

OK I just did some measuring and as usual my guesstimates suck...sorry guys...lol...OK heres the deal light was 2 inches off the glass and glass tops were 1/4 inch thick. Also I have no canopy over the top of the lights completely open. Hope that clarifies some
Old 01-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am going to Home Depot today to get some chain and some butterfly anchors and gonna hang this hood from the ceiling about 8 inches off the surface, was gonna do this over the weekend anyway thought I could get away with the temp solution on blocks till then, LOL, guess not. Also I ordered a new glass top for the tank, I know the LFS have an open top and it has been suggested a few times but I have quite the escape artist in a 2 foot Snowflake Eel and I dont really want to feed my cats fresh seafood yet
Old 01-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

MH gets extremely hot. 2 inches off the glass is definitely not enough. I have a friend that had an MH a few inches off the glass and melted his center brace on the tank. Needless to say, he had to get the brace replaced. I have mine positioned about 12" above the water. TO accomplish this, I had to build a 15" custom canopy that would house the retro's and 5 inch fans on each side to keep the temp stable. Although these lights are spectacular, they can be very dangerous. I'm just glad your tank is fine.

Mike
Old 01-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am running PC's....so how far off the 1/4" glass should I have those with a canopy....obviously the canopy is going to limit it
Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion
Old 01-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run PC's in addition to MH. The PC lighting doesn't get near as hot as the MH. I was running then about 3-4" off the glass tops before I built the new canopy.

Mike
Old 01-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

so 2-3" should be kosher even with a hood you think. I only run them 5 hours tops a day. I have an artificial reef cause my selection of fish involves teeth and stuff

Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com