Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wendyjh
Everyone's allowed one stupid question!

So this is mine!

Toying with the idea of taking the salt water path. Got an 80 ltr tank, awesome under tank filter, heaters, lights, blah blah blah, the list goes on. Heading out this morning to ask stupid questions of the fish joint but I like to be informed from many areas, not just one!

We live by the ocean so the stupid question is, would sea water be ok? We'd have a fish only tank.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
hello!!! welcome to Aquarium Advice!!!

I would not recommend sea water. Its full of nasty toxins that will kill your fish sooner or later. Reverse Osmosis Water with a quality sea salt mix is what you want. I use Oceanic salts myself.

Will you be adding any live rock??? what kinda filter do you have??? is it wet/dry or canister style??? What is your fish wish list???

Let us know!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wendyjh
In order:

Probably, Via Aqua 400 L/h, canister, pretty ones! I can be such a girl at times!!!! Using mental arithmetic (which ain't that flash at the best of times) the tank is around 20 ish gallons and the pump pushes around 100 gallons an hour.

It was a freshwater set up housing our ever personable American Red Devil. Alas, he's now in the big aquarium in the sky after many entertaining years. Was thinking of getting rid of the whole lot but knowing me and how often I change my mind, I'd be out buying all this stuff again in a couple of weeks!!!! So salt water it is!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well. be forewarned. Salt Water, done properly, is rather expensive. expect to spend in the 1500, to 2000 dollar range to get all the essentials and you won't be suprised.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 11-26-2004, 10:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For a 20 gal sw you won't have to spend even close to 2000(unless you really want too) I have a nicely stocked reef tank that is 50 gals and I'm only in about 1100(mind you I am the bargain master!)
Old 11-26-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with Edmonton Eskimo (you must be the one who steals all the good buys in the Edmonton bargain finder are you?? I try to nab the good stuff here in the calgary bargain finder, hehe)...

You don't have to spend that much if you plan it right. A simple system with LS, LR, a good Skimmer, Light and water circulation doesn't have to cost a fortune. The skimmer and the light are probably your most expensive equipment options. Lights get costly fast for big tanks, so smaller tanks are more affordable in this area (and noticably).

LS and LR is the other big investment but you don't have to spend a fortune... I bought most of my LR and LS used for less than half of local retail and its probably better than most retail anyway.

I have spent about $850 Can for a 33g system, everything new except my skimmer, LS and LR. This includes everything but livestock...

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you figure you will spend two grand, you won't be suprised. thats all I am saying.

I have spent close to 1500 bucks so far on my 37 gallon and I have yet to buy the lighting and an extra 20 lbs of live rock.

I say, expect to pay more and be suprised when you don't.

Old 11-27-2004, 01:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like vertex said using regional forums,bargain finders and yes even garage sales you can save a fortune. I agree with you rocketseason you can spend a fortune but all I'm saying is you don't need to spend a lot to have an excellent tank. Everything in this hobby is horribly overpriced especially when you can make or modify half the stuff to suit your needs. I'm planning on upgrading to metal halides which is very expensive to buy new but with a little know how I can do it for a quarter of the price. A lot of aquarists have a larger budget than I do and can afford to purchase all these fancy expensive things when my tanks costs are considerably less but the outcome is the same or better.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com