Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Evil Damsel

So i've had a 20 gallon long running for about 4 years and the last 3 years the only fish in it was a three stripe damsel. I decided I wanted some fishes to look at, and recently got a small royal gramma and a baby maroon clown (about 1 1/2 inches). And the damsel doesn't let the gramma come out of his cave. Also he bit a small chunk of the maroons tail. I've had the damsel as a baby and would love to be able to keep him. Is there any way to solve it? Such as putting him in a quarintine tank and reintroducing him to the tank as a new fish so he doesnt feel its his. Get a bigger fish to calm him down? Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know in freshwater you can re arrange the rocks so that new territories need to be formed.

Sorry that wasnt much help was it? But it just might work!

Good luck

Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A damsel is a damsel and they are all mean. The clown is a damsel as well, give it enough time it will turn out like the 3 stripe or even worse. As a damsel gets older the meaner they get.

I have a blue devil in a 24 by itself. I won't get rid of it and won't put another fish in with it, but that is just me.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could try that and like mentioned above move the rocks around so when he is reintroduced he doesn't recognize the tank.

But as also stated above a damsel is a damsel and they're all just jerks IMO. A maroon clown specifically will get territorial as it gets larger and I've heard grammas are mean fish. But try the QT-rearrange method and see how it works out for you
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If he means that much to you, do the removal to a QT tank and re-introduce later. But like said, it is a damsel and it was there first. New comers to his house likely makes him worse. I'd really consider getting rid of it. All three of the fish you have can be considered meanies in their own right. So, if you get rid of the damsel and add another fish later, the gramma and clown may return the favor to someone else.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

im suprised no one reccomended you against getting a gramma, damsels are nightmares i 2 had a three spot domino damsel and damsels and royal grammas Do NOT MIX! my damsel killed mine eventually and i have no doubt yours will do the same, my advice remove the guy andt ake him back to the LFS unless you want a pain in the *** tank mate that will never stop bothering your fish,
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might as well spice it up, get a six line wrasse and put in there as well. Lol
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And a dotty back. Have a battle royal
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
I wouldn't move anything around might cause a mini cycle.....and a damsel is a damsel is right....but the maroon clown if given the time will grow and will be just as aggressive...... Royal gramma are only aggressive towards there own kind.

I say get rid of the damsel and there's lots of beautiful fish you can get...... If not make it a damsel tank and get other damsel of same size or age so it can defend it self.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im probably gonna try quarantining the damsel for a couple of weeks, I was planning on adding some corals to the tank in the meanwhile maybe this will help re arrange the tank a little. Hopefully when I add him he'll feel hes the new fish on the block. If not im gonna have to find a home for the little guy. Weird thing is he used to be nice, I used to have a gramma with him and they lived fine together but I guess its true they get more aggressive with age. But thank you guys for the advice I appreciate it, I just hope this works.

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com