Evil Damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TitoBoyz2491

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i've had a 20 gallon long running for about 4 years and the last 3 years the only fish in it was a three stripe damsel. I decided I wanted some fishes to look at, and recently got a small royal gramma and a baby maroon clown (about 1 1/2 inches). And the damsel doesn't let the gramma come out of his cave. Also he bit a small chunk of the maroons tail. I've had the damsel as a baby and would love to be able to keep him. Is there any way to solve it? Such as putting him in a quarintine tank and reintroducing him to the tank as a new fish so he doesnt feel its his. Get a bigger fish to calm him down? Any thoughts or ideas? :(

I know in freshwater you can re arrange the rocks so that new territories need to be formed.

Sorry that wasnt much help was it? But it just might work!

Good luck

A damsel is a damsel and they are all mean. The clown is a damsel as well, give it enough time it will turn out like the 3 stripe or even worse. As a damsel gets older the meaner they get.

I have a blue devil in a 24 by itself. I won't get rid of it and won't put another fish in with it, but that is just me.

You could try that and like mentioned above move the rocks around so when he is reintroduced he doesn't recognize the tank.

But as also stated above a damsel is a damsel and they're all just jerks IMO. A maroon clown specifically will get territorial as it gets larger and I've heard grammas are mean fish. But try the QT-rearrange method and see how it works out for you

If he means that much to you, do the removal to a QT tank and re-introduce later. But like said, it is a damsel and it was there first. New comers to his house likely makes him worse. I'd really consider getting rid of it. All three of the fish you have can be considered meanies in their own right. So, if you get rid of the damsel and add another fish later, the gramma and clown may return the favor to someone else.

im suprised no one reccomended you against getting a gramma, damsels are nightmares i 2 had a three spot domino damsel and damsels and royal grammas Do NOT MIX! my damsel killed mine eventually and i have no doubt yours will do the same, my advice remove the guy andt ake him back to the LFS unless you want a pain in the *** tank mate that will never stop bothering your fish,

I wouldn't move anything around might cause a mini cycle.....and a damsel is a damsel is right....but the maroon clown if given the time will grow and will be just as aggressive...... Royal gramma are only aggressive towards there own kind.

I say get rid of the damsel and there's lots of beautiful fish you can get...... If not make it a damsel tank and get other damsel of same size or age so it can defend it self. :)

Im probably gonna try quarantining the damsel for a couple of weeks, I was planning on adding some corals to the tank in the meanwhile maybe this will help re arrange the tank a little. Hopefully when I add him he'll feel hes the new fish on the block. If not im gonna have to find a home for the little guy. Weird thing is he used to be nice, I used to have a gramma with him and they lived fine together but I guess its true they get more aggressive with age. But thank you guys for the advice:) I appreciate it, I just hope this works.

Maroon clowns get pretty big he will probably soon outgrow a 20 gallon. Maroon Clowns are also more aggressive than your normal ocellaris clownfish. Mixing two damsels was asking for trouble

Update I currently caught the damsel (with my hands! :eek:. ) and hes in a container that holds four gallons. I put an air pump with two tubes to keep the water moving a little and oxiginated. How long should I quarantine the litle guy for?

Just thought id let you guys know i put the damsel back in (a week or so) and he seems alot less aggressive he doesnt bother the baby maroon at all but he still bothers the gramma to a much lesser extent as before. So the qt was kind of a success :)

If the reintroducing meathod doesn't work for you get a bigger tank all of my damsels get along just fine in my 90 gal. tank except for one problem.

Back
Top Bottom