Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Excessive corals?

Hey gang, I'm looking to make a major purchase of corals. I'm talking huge. I have a 125g. My question:
Is adding a lot of corals at one time dangerous like adding a lot of fish at one time? Or are the rules different?

Please advise.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
no. you can add many corals at one time. your tanks needs may change though...it may use more calcium and alk than it did before the corals were introduced. what kind of corals are we talking about? do you have sufficient lighting to sustain photosynthetic creatures?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with x...just make sure you are testing frequently for calc, mag and alk. I am sure you will need to make adjustments once you add all that coral.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the input. My LFS has a 180g tank with a ton of corals and the owner told me he doses the tank with iodide and other elements as if the tank were a 3,000g tank. I was thinking, "holy cow, that is a ton of iodide and supplements!" Does that seem legit? There are a ton of corals in it....
Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wouldn't go that far. Just take your time adding the recommended amount, make sure everything is doing well. Then you can adjust when needed. I do not know of any benefit to "overdosing" chemicals or for that matter, any negative affects from it.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Overdosing can have very bad effects on your tank. Your PWC's should give all the elements your corals need. Dosing a 180 as if it were a 3000 sounds like either bs or a quick way to crash a tank.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

hes probably bsing you...because I know alot about dosing fw planted tanks and if I dosed like that even with an aquarium with JUST plants filled it would crash and destroy the tank. I have a guy at my lfs that tells me things like that often and I call him out on it and he changes it to a different story.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i agree with cleverBs. you would need very little if no iodide. i have never dosed iodide in any tank, other than what's already in my salt mix.
as for calcium, corals won't die if it's depleted, they will just grow slower/not at all.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say just dose for your tank and adjust if you feel that they arnt looking their best or growing at the rate they are capable of. When I started doesing my planted tank I started with the amount required for my tank even though my tank has more plants in it then proabably 90% of the planted tanks out there. I found that some of the things I was doseing wasnt enough and some things like Iron and K2SO4 were fine left at that amount however the others needed to be increased and I have noticed a drimatic growth rate difference in my stem plants they went from needing to be trimmed every 2-3 weeks to being trimmed weekly.

So start normal and increase as needed, they will tell you what they need as all living creatures will.

Check out my tank in my sig if you are interested.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong like I said I dont have much experince doseing corals becuase I have just started researching it for my tank Im setting up. I am basing it off what I know from doseing high tech planted tanks.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

now i have to disagree. do not add anything to the tank you aren't sure you need via test kits.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com