experience with kalkwasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
im looking into creating a lower maintenance tank housing only soft and polyp corals with a few lps. does anyone have experience with kalkwasser? would it be considered easier than 2 part dosing and can it meet the demands of a non sps reef?

im looking into creating a lower maintenance tank housing only soft and polyp corals with a few lps. does anyone have experience with kalkwasser? would it be considered easier than 2 part dosing and can it meet the demands of a non sps reef?

Imo there is absolutely no need to dose for just soft coral and LPS coral. Regular water changes with reef salt should do the trick.

well suppose i only do monthly water changes...?

That's not very healthy for the tank in ways other than elements for the coral. Not really sure what LPS you have but most aren't that hungry for calcium. Again I recommend not only doing monthly water changes. Maybe bi-monthly. But if you were to test to see if you needed to dose, then dose to the needed amount and then test before a water change. If it is still in the accepted range you're fine. I've never dosed in my nano and I have hammer, acan, meteor shower, and Duncan coral. Just bi-weekly water changes.

wouldnt only doing water changes very slowly decline in desirable elements? if you think about it your not actually replacing the elements consumed by corals your only replacing portions of water with new water at ideal paramaters.

wouldnt only doing water changes very slowly decline in desirable elements? if you think about it your not actually replacing the elements consumed by corals your only replacing portions of water with new water at ideal paramaters.

The salt is formulated to contain these elements. Mixes like Instant Ocean reef Crystals have been studied by the makers to simulate the levels in a reef. Each time you do a water change it replenishes these levels.

I would do weekly water changes for the nutrient export aspect as much as replacing trace elements. Kalkwasser doesn't replace everything that's used.

maybe ill look into an auto water change system. i find it hard to believe addition supplementation wouldnt be necessary at least once in a while but this may be much easier (and more beneficial) than constantly testing parameters to fine tune dosing schedules

i still find it hard to believe it wouldnt require occasional supplementation ill test it out. maybe an auto water change system is something to look into for a low maintenance system. less frequent testing to fine tune dosing schedules

without additional supplementation? weekly water changes thats it?

The nutrients your wanting to dose with additives are in the salt. That's why these guys are suggesting water changes.

i know its in the salt... i must not be explaining myself clearly. say the ca in the tank has dropped from 460 to 450 since the last water change. and the new water has a ca lvl of 460. by performing a 20% wc you are only replenishing the lvls lost in that 20%. with corals continually consuming calcium the water changes would need to far exceed the corals appetite to prevent a slow decline in ca lvls...in theory..

thats great. what type of salt do you use? i use seachem reef crystals and tested a new batch last night noticed the parameters were off. i got ca 480 alk 6.3 dkh and mg 1050 using quality test kits.

You make a valid point ding... I assume if you do frequent water changes your parameters shouldn't drop enough in a weeks time to make that substantial of a difference.

well at any rate this sounds like the way to go especially if i can get an auto water change system incorporated. maybe just monthly testing to realign parameters if necessary

The only way your water changes will lose the battle is if the tank is loaded with giant sps colonies. In that case you will need to supplement. Reasonably stocked reef tanks should be fine with a weekly water change regimen.
I use a different salt each time. My theory is, what one salt lacks, another makes up for. It's been working well so far. Oceanic, Seachem Reef, Reef crystals, Kent, Coralife, Red Sea, Tropic Marin, D&D....

Back
Top Bottom