Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-17-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
experimenting with the idea of a sump

Ok, I have a 29 gallon, with a stand that can accomidate a 20 gallon tank below. I'm going to try and make a sump below. I was reading the article about sumps, and I was going to make an over flow box using a specimen container

(here is a link to what I have http://www.amazonmoosey.com/tek9.asp...cific=jqimkqr4)

I also have a 20 gallon tank.

From what I understand, all I need now is a "u" shaped hose that runs down into the 20 gallon, and a pump and hose to return it to the main tank.

Now for the problems that can happen, If I put only 15 or so gallons in the 20 gallon tank and have the hose that comes from the main tank only about 2 inches below the surface of the water, even if the power should go out or the pump quit, the water will run down into the sump until the syphon has stopped because of low water level. Ideally the sump will not over flow so I just have to figure out how much water I can put in the sump, right? Sorry if this question is confusing.....cause I'm a little confused.

Go Big Blue!!
Lindsikins00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
yep that is what i have found with my sump. also remeber that the return line also take water back down to the sump if the pump is turned off. and there are 2 ways of fixing that (i did both of them) 1. install a check valve that acts like a door and blocks the water from flown back down to the sump. 2. drill smalls holes in the return pipe out let so that if power is lost it sucks in air and kills that flow. i think people say 1/8 and drill it so that the hole is faceing the back of the tank so you do not get it shooting to the front of the tank.

also do a lot of test run. buy killing all pumps to the tank and wate some tiem and see what happens. then on the sump make a mark with a marker and do not fill past that mark. and that also shows you when you need to add fw to the tankand how much.

A 46 gal bow front (Soft coral) reef tank with a 10 gal sump. And a 30 gal (SPS and Clam) reef tank hooked up to the sump of the 46 so they share water.
WarOrks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I think I understand now. Just wanted to check. My boyfriend used to work as a plumbers assistant, so I guess this will be on the "honey do" list. j/k
Go Big Blue!!
Lindsikins00 is offline   Reply With Quote

rim, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com