Exposing corals to air.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To my knowledge, it is only sponges that can't be exposed to air. I expose my corals to air when they are being placed in the tank or need moved without issue.

Oh, one small caveat to that. Many LPS coral polyps are inflated with water. If lifted out when fully inflated, they are unsupported and can rupture. Remember that many coral skeletons have sharp septum.
So, anything with large fleshy polyps should not be lifted unless you can get it to retract.
Kenya Tree will not be a problem. Lift away. What other ones are you fragging?

MacDracor said:
Oh, one small caveat to that. Many LPS coral polyps are inflated with water. If lifted out when fully inflated, they are unsupported and can rupture. Remember that many coral skeletons have sharp septum.
So, anything with large fleshy polyps should not be lifted unless you can get it to retract.
Kenya Tree will not be a problem. Lift away. What other ones are you fragging?

Very good point. I never have really taken that into consideration. Although ive never had a problem with ruptures either, but can see how this could happen.

To the OP, kenya trees will have no problem sustaining 10mins out of water.

I want to frag my ricordeas and some polyps. Also, do you know why my Xenia would be the same size after three years. Everything else is growing real good.

Some people just can't grow Xenia, it usually grows well in dirtier water, if your tank is super clean, it might jus wither away. It grows very slowly for me. Another problem might be a lack of trace elements. You can easily fix that with more water changes.

dlsrks said:
I want to frag my ricordeas and some polyps. Also, do you know why my Xenia would be the same size after three years. Everything else is growing real good.

Xenia can be very picky. Trying moving it to a new spot.

Ive found my xenia grows quickest under intense light and with high water flow mine has grown 5 inches in 2 months :) a well fed tank on smaller partical foods always helps too.. Hope you have aome improvement be aware when healthy they can have rapid growth and get in the way and i have found not always best for fragging as they can leave toxins

Attachments

• image-294857320.jpg
    image-294857320.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1383145468.jpg
    image-1383145468.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for all the info. Just got some reef. Hili from BRS. The corals really love it. The Xenia seems to be doing better. Not growing taller yet but has new sprouts. I have it on a large rock with only one other coral so it should have plenty of room to grow.

No problem just to add higher flow rate is known to increase the pulsing which ive heard encourages growth

Back
Top Bottom