Extend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardridge

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to extend my tank (deep) by a foot do you thk it's pos

I don't think it would be the best idea. Extending your tank 1 foot higher will place a lot more pressure on the sides of the tank which could cause a catastrophic failure at worst or at the very least bowing of the sides.

I said but I meant width it's 18 now want to make it 30

I said but I meant width it's 18 now want to make it 30

Its not a good idea because of whats used in between the acrylic to bond it. You would have to see if you could even find the glue for that and then re-silicone the entire tank

Its not a good idea because of whats used in between the acrylic to bond it. You would have to see if you could even find the glue for that and then re-silicone the entire tank

Not sure what u mean silicone is not used on Acrylic

It's a special bonding agent and basically yes. The bond is stronger than the acrylic.

Can you do it. Yes. You are wanting to make it wider, correct? I would just build a new one though. It would take a little more work but be better in the end

To make it wider you will need a bigger bottom piece too. Im not sure how expensive 1inch thick acrylic is but I know it aint cheap by any means

I say this because you will have to replace the sides and bottom anyways (don't want to try and make a bunch of extra seems). You'd still be able to use the front and back just cut it right and clean up where the old seem was. I've done a lot of research on DIY acrylic tanks.

Price isn't an issue I get sheets fr free my buddy that made the tank is doing it fr a art project

image-242739694.jpg

This is tank now

It can be done. I'd get me some good saws cut the front and back off then replace the sides and bottom. Check YouTube for some DIY videos. There's a few on there

Back
Top Bottom