Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

external pump

i was looking at the rainbow quiet one 3000 external pump 780 gph. it seems it can be run outside the tank. i thought this would be nice instead of two hagen 802 400 gph ( one on each corner ) i could put a T on the pump and run two hoses to replace the location of the 802's. less junk in the water. any thoughts on this or other external pumps, or disadvantages?

thanks as usual
steve r

Old 10-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are going to run external pump, check out the SCWD( poor mans water current swithing device). I got it running on my tank and it is so cool. My corals sway back and forth gently like if they were in the ocean.

Here is a pic of the SCWD setup on my tank. As you can see the pump is on the outside of the tank going up to the SCWD which is connected to two returns for water current. I can point you to the website with step by step DIY instructions and parts list, if your interested.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would second the SCWD usage. The biggest challenge will be priming the pump and keeping the pump intake free of airbubbles as I take it your not going to be using this in conjunction with a sump.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

that is correct, i will not be using a sump. klam, it looks like you are drawing water from your tank as well as a second source. is this your "automatic topper"? that is the setup i was looking at doing. except i didnt think of the SCWD. good idea! are there any pumps that are have less priming problems. whay would primming the pump be a problem for me? just curious. i dont know the mechanics of aqua plumbing yet

steve r
Old 10-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm only drawing in water from one source, that ball valve on the ground you see is for water drainage(maintenace of SCWD).

Using this DIY it is easy to prime the pump. You just unscrew the cap off of the intake tube leading to the pump and just fill with tank water. Cap located in upper right corner of my image. Mag Drive pumps are the most commonly used pumps for the SCWD. I'm only using a Mag5 and works great for my 14g tank. You will want to use a Mag7 or higher.

Here are the detailed pictures and instructions w/parts list for the DIY
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html
http://www.melevsreef.com/how_to_build.html
Old 10-15-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for the links. i am going to build a similar setup. i think i am going to try the rainbow quiet one 3000 pump. i have heard good things and i found a good price on one. thank again for the detailed construction list. what kind of filter are you using on your intake? did you modify a filter from another setup?

thanks
steve r
Old 10-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

one other quick question. is there any reason i cant use flexible instead of rigid PVC for construction.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought I've read something about the Quiet One not being able to handle to back pressure of the SCWD which causes problems.

You can use that flexible hosing, many people have. Only thing that comes to mind right now is that since the hose is kind of translucent it will allow light to penetrate which will cause algae to grow inside the hosing which can be a nuisance.

That prefilter came with my Mag5 pump. A prefilter is a good idea because I've heard of many SCWD getting glogged up with debris which stops it from switching current.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i will let everyone know if the quiet one works or not. i already ordered it
i would think it would work. it seems to have a higher GPH with no head height restrictions as long as it is under the max head height. we will see, i am no aqua plumbing expert.

the solid color tubing is a good idea to prevent algae growth

thanks for the info
steve r
Old 10-15-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I belive my unscientific tests when I got my SCWD showed a 30% decrese in flow from my mag 7 at 5' head when I put the SCWD inline as compaired to when it was not in line.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
external, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com