Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Extremely High Nitrate

Since upgrading my 10 gallon to my 12 gallon cube, my nitrate levels have skyrocketed. They are somewhere between 80 and 160 ppm 8O. Ph, ammonia, and nitrite are all in check. I am assuming the best way to lower the levels would be to do water changes, so I went to the grocery store and bought 12 gallons of RO water. I know it probably is not as good as home RO water, but the budget is not there for a home system at the moment. The system was just inspected on the 29th.

My questions are:
How large of water changes should I do?
Is there anything else I can do to help?

I also added some live rock when I changed over. Now my tank is getting a lot of brown/red algae and the rock (which was lightly colored) is now brown . Is there anything I can do about this?

On a happy note, I have no loss of life to report!

Old 07-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

must be from the rock i would guess
i would do a 50g change wait a good 12h at least then do another ,and another untill its under control mabey put a capfull of prime of you have any since it detoxifys nitrate if you have any life in the tank mabey a little bit of that sechem stress reducer stuff what ever its called

Old 07-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs
must be from the rock i would guess
i would do a 50g change wait a good 12h at least then do another ,and another untill its under control mabey put a capfull of prime of you have any since it detoxifys nitrate if you have any life in the tank mabey a little bit of that sechem stress reducer stuff what ever its called
I think he meant 5 gallon 8O.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com