Fair LFS credit for mated pair of maroon clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy3693

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to trade in two clowns that came with my Craig's list tank. They are a mated pair of maroon and gold clowns. The female is over 3 inches and the male is about half that. I just don't want someone giving me way less than they should. Thank you!

Id try Craigslist first. My LFS (which is a little high priced to begin with) sells them at $45 EACH!

I would try craigslist as well. Keep in mind that a lfs is not going to give you retail price on them

+1 I traded in 8 of my enormous FW fish that I couldn't find a new home for and they gave me a whopping $30 for. :/ what a steal for them.

Great idea, I didn't even think of Craig's list! You guys are all so smart! What should I ask for them? $75?

+1 I traded in 8 of my enormous FW fish that I couldn't find a new home for and they gave me a whopping $30 for. :/ what a steal for them.

Not a steal necessarily. They have to feed it, keep the tank they're in presentable, pay an electric bill, pay their staff, and pay rent and then assume the risk if something dies or kills its tank mates. Then there's the fact the aquarium they put those guys in could have housed a bunch of small fish that actually net more of a margin.

Most folks who own a LFS would like to pay the bills at home and probably have some mouths to feed as well.

Obviously, there weren't a lot of people looking for what you were willing to sell, or you would have sold the fish directly and pocketed the difference. Most aquarists don't have big tanks to house big fish in either.

Not a steal necessarily. They have to feed it, keep the tank they're in presentable, pay an electric bill, pay their staff, and pay rent and then assume the risk if something dies or kills its tank mates. Then there's the fact the aquarium they put those guys in could have housed a bunch of small fish that actually net more of a margin.

Most folks who own a LFS would like to pay the bills at home and probably have some mouths to feed as well.

Obviously, there weren't a lot of people looking for what you were willing to sell, or you would have sold the fish directly and pocketed the difference. Most aquarists don't have big tanks to house big fish in either.

I hear what you're saying. I was in a pinch to move things around so that's why I traded them in. And yeah I understand their bills and blah blab blah. But when u give someone $30 for 8 nicely taken care of fish. And then try and sell the smallest of the 8 for $35. Its a steal Lol

Plus your credit is at retail cost. Whatever you chose, their cost is way less than your credit, it is not like they are giving you cash.

Kristy i would ask for at least $75 if they are truly mated. Just my opinion

They are, I have only had them 3 weeks, but they are very much in love. Lol. The previous owner said they laid eggs...aka fish food! Thank you for the imput!

Back
Top Bottom