Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let's agree to disagree

Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Let's agree to disagree
good idea

Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Many years ago before live rock hits the LFS. I had a FO tank with skeleton coral. (Blues, Pink, Purples and white). All that coral is stored away and have gone to LR rock. I have not tried the fake coral but the colors are a little too crazy for me. I agree LR is truly beneficial but I a mix may give you what you need both the biological benefits of LR and the colors of fake. Good luck! when you are done, submit some pictures. I would like to see how it turns out.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #14

Personally like the laptop in front of tank idea best. But try a portable TV and give ur fish a channel changer. LOL
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabs
Personally like the laptop in front of tank idea best. But try a portable TV and give ur fish a channel changer. LOL
Why not throw in the recliner chair in the tank lol
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquariumAddiction
Many years ago before live rock hits the LFS. I had a FO tank with skeleton coral. (Blues, Pink, Purples and white). All that coral is stored away and have gone to LR rock. I have not tried the fake coral but the colors are a little too crazy for me. I agree LR is truly beneficial but I a mix may give you what you need both the biological benefits of LR and the colors of fake. Good luck! when you are done, submit some pictures. I would like to see how it turns out.
Are there any other benefit besides anaerobic bacteria and good environment for critters and small fish? If i have a 125g tank, would 125lbs (at least if you follow the general rule) justify the cost of hundreds of dollars vs buying some media for less than $50 and throwing it into a sump for biological filtration?

If my logic is flawed then let me know. In any reefless tank, i feel like live rocks are being overhyped and overpaid. Either that or im missing something obvious that everybody knows about.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #17

Seriously. I don't think there's any justification for spending tons of money on LR. U can get 90% base rock for practically nothing and just seed it with 10% LR. IMO there is nothing prettier than Coraline Algae growing on the rock. Buying LR is a gamble when it comes to introducing unwanted critters into ur tank, even with the 10% method it's still a crap shoot. But I go along with the general opinion that the more surface area for the bacteria to grow, the better
Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Base rocks are affordable, but its still easy to spend over $200 for them in large tanks. There comes a point in any system that beneficial bacteria stops growing in quantity since its dependent on livestock and feeding. More surface area does not mean more beneficial aerobic bacteria that are grown in tank. Not sure if the same applies to anaerobic bacteria.

Thanks to all that have replied. It got me really thinking and enjoying this hobby!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #19

It's not a cheap hobby
Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wow ,..having a reef tank with fake coral in it would be like going to the zoo to see plastic animals,....the whole idea is TRYING to maintain a semi natural environment in your living room,...and growing coral etc is just part of the game.
I guess the bottom line would be to do whatever makes you happy.... Enjoy the tank regardless.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com